PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough Idle only with AC on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2009, 04:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rough Idle only with AC on

hello folkes,
i recently purchased a 2001 pt cruiser with 94,000, it was one owner, well cared for with mainly highway miles between florida & ohio. it runs great EXCEPT when the ac is on, then i get the rough idle & burps, especially when stopped at red lights or mc donalds drive thru i bought this car because i have not been able to find employment since december, with the rotten economy and being in florida, hence i do not have a lot of $ to try different diagnostics. my jeep liberty has to go back to the repo man i can't make any more payments.
would plug wires cause this? i have already replaced the battery because that sounded weak, i don't have a lit more cash to play with right now.
thanx very much for any help
beachpatty
Old 02 Oct 2009, 06:34 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Rough Idle only with AC on

With that kind of mileage did you get any kind of maintenance records? You are in the ballpark for the timing belt job which is in the $1000 ballpark assuming it hasn't been changed yet.
Old 02 Oct 2009, 07:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Rough Idle only with AC on

Beachpatty, welcome to the forum.

Agree with Travis. Buying a PT with that kind of miles, hopefully there was some kind of maintenance record.

As far as the rough idle with the A/C on, does the temperature guage raise over halfway when your sitting for a few minutes with the A/C on? If it does, your problem could be your fan motor. If it stays at the halfway mark then a simple change of plugs and wires might help considerably.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.