Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
whining again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2009, 02:39 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default whining again

Well I just talked to my mechanic whom I've always had good luck with in the past.....I'm not here to cast blame on him, however I seem to have had some bad luck this time....Not sure whom to blame...me, the mechanic, the previous owner, or Chrysler engineering.............So here it goes....my PT is a 2003 GT with 60000 Canadian KM....which for an 03 is not much in my opinion. Weeks ago, the car started to drip orange fluid in small amounts...I was very busy with my mother in law who was dying and has since died of cancer. The day she died, my cars temp guage lit up, and warning chimes happened...I got it into the garage...the coolant fann was working loud and hard. I went to bed...the next morning...the garage floor was covered in coolant...It was towed to my mechanic....New timing belt, coolant, and waterpump installed...Brought it home....leaks noticed the next few mornings on the floor.....took it to thje mechanic....left it all day they claimed to see no leaks...brought it home...the minute in the garage....I could see it leaking....I took it back the next day.....they found the leak...the powersteering pump leaking....they must have broken it during the repair....they showed me the previous owner had epoxyed the resevoir bottle to the pump.....they ordered a new pump/used pump that is, for 125$ my cost and installed it.....I went away for the WE and while on the highway with the hot sun coming thru the windows....I noticed there was no AC....I took it back...they found it/ the ac was not plugged in again by them...they pulled off the front of the car again to move the rad forward to get to the plug......last week I noticed again more leaking oranfge coolant.....now they claim that the rad is shot...I also mentioned the coolant fan sounds as loud as a sherman tank when I'm driving or even sitting at my son's school...that I am so embarassed that I shut it down to avoid stares.......my mechanic just informed me that the bearings are shot and he has to install a whole new coolant fan/shroud/motor etc......and of course new coolant will again have to be added like a few weeks ago....I hope this time there are no leaks, that it is quieter, and everything is satisfactory....because if I have to inconvenience myself again I am going to SPRING A LEAK!!!!!.........I'm also mad I have to pay for more coolant and labour to remove the rad again......I don't know if I should keep my mouth shut when I go to get the car..or????Should I bring up that some sort of better labour deal should be made because they should of noticed that the rad was shit when they hooked everything up / or took everything apart when the waterpump was done????I'm also pissed I have to pay for coolant AGAIN What are your guys opinions?? Should I say something or just shut up...put up...and pay the BILL???
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 05 Oct 2009, 02:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: whining again

sorry but I needed to vent...I've been upset over these problems for weeks...and my wife won't even let me talk to her about it anymore.I guess I need to vent and get advice. I don't want to be a bickering ass, but I don't want to be ripped off either
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 05 Oct 2009, 02:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Phil,

It would be easy for one of us to tell you to go screaming back to them because we're sitting here behind a keyboard.

How well do you know the mechanic? Does the same guy work on yours all the time? Where is the radiator leaking from, the core or the filler neck? Maybe it could be repaired without getting a whole new radiator and, as new as the fluid is, you think they could reuse any that they have to dump out.

The power steering pump, if it was epoxied, does should like the previous owner fixed it up half-ass and it worked till now.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Oct 2009, 02:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

You have had more than your share of bad luck with that PT Cruiser, it must have been made very late on a Friday afternoon, have you checked? It sounds like my old Plymouth Horizon or my '73 Chrysler Town & Country Wagon. I swore I'd I would never own another Chrysler product, but I think I lied to myself as I now have this PT Cruiser, that I really like.

Seriously, if I had as much continuous trouble with a car as you have had with that one, I think I would just trade it off, having a car like that would drive me nuts. Any manufacturer can turn out a lemon every now and then.

Last edited by atlctuzr; 05 Oct 2009 at 02:55 pm.
Old 05 Oct 2009, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

IMHO, you should calmly go and talk to your mechanic and discuss with them that you feel that some of those problems should have been caught with one of the teardowns. Remember, CALMLY!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Oct 2009, 07:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well my mechanic phoned me and told me the cooling fan is shot....he ordered one for me for a little over 200$.........but when it came in, it would not work......the only option he says is a dealer one for 1150$$$$$$$$$$$I can't seem to find a used one. There was someone selling 3 of them on ebay brand new for 250$$ but when I phoned their 1 800 # he said they are all sold out and....they were back ordered for 1 year. There is a company on ebay selling a aftermarket brand new cooling fan shroud etc for 100$$...BUT they list it as for a 2004-2005 Turbo???Isn't the 2003s cooling fan and shroud the same as 04-05 turbos? I sent them a email but they have not gotten back to meHow come mine crapped out at 60000km??How come the dealers gauge you 1250$$ for a plastic fan and shroud?????I refuse to pay the dealer price.....they can shove it where the sun doesn't shineIts not like I own a Ferrari or a Porsche I'm buying parts forThis is the same crap I got when I took 2 chip keys I bought on ebay to the dealer and they wanted a fortune to cut and program them....I walked out on them than too. .................I am losing my LUV for my car very quickly and am tempted to put it together and get rid of it...I hope Chrysler shuts down and I hope they learn there lesson. I'll go buy a used Porsche and pay 1250$ for a plastic part....To add insult to injury....I figured I better put my Toyota Corolla on the road.....that I had last year for the winter...the insurance rates have increased on my 500$ car and me and my wife are 8 year customers, with 3 cars and a home insured by them, and when I phoned to reactivate the policy, they said they will have to have their underwriter assess it and get back to me which they never did!!!!!Which means I have no car tonight, or tomorrow morning!!!!!Why the helll does someone have to approve my insurance? I have been a customer for 8 years and had the car insured with them last year...NOTHING HAS Changed??????????????I'm just tired of all the crap coming from all angles.....
Old 05 Oct 2009, 07:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

almost as expensive as my car.......I wonder if his fan is 1250$?
Old 05 Oct 2009, 08:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Does anyone know where I can order a cooling fan for a 2003 turbo...online?
Old 06 Oct 2009, 12:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Chrysler PT Cruiser Parts at Go-Part.com
2003 PT Cruiser GT cooling fan - Google Product Search

Or there is the rebuild option, it's probably the brushes....