Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
help I'm in mexico with code P0700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2009, 07:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default help I'm in mexico with code P0700

transmission is in lst or 2nd - tried unplug battery cable to reset - nothing - mechanic here (all speaking spanish w/out computer or being able to read code) said let's change trans filter and fluid - it may have been low when problem happened (?) but still can't get it out of low gears
it's a 2001 - auto 2.4 - any advise? cindy@cozumelmexicohomes.com
Old 11 Oct 2009, 07:34 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: help I'm in mexico with code P0700

Hey their cintra07,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I am not much for mechanical problems but will try to help you as much as I can, and we have some good mechanically inclined guys here who I am sure will chime in later on today. Just in case, their are also some very good Tech People over at the following Link you where you may also want to post this problem to as well. First here is the Link.

PTCrew.com - Learn it or Burn it.

Next, your Code is:

P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction

My guess is more of an electrical issue, but the Transmissions in PT's are known to be on the weaker side of things. It sounds like something might be binding up. If the Trans was blown, iat least from my experience it was going into gear, but was making horrable grinding noises, and after servicing the trans, it had a ton of metal shavings in the bottom which is a tell tale sign its shot, and even at that, I still drove it for 9 more months every day till it finally woudn't go into gear anymore. My best immediate advice would probably be to go ahead and do the flush, and service to the trans to start. See if the pan has shavings, and go from their.

I will keep on looking and see if I can find anything more, and like I say, hopefully someone else will come along here shortly and may be able to help out better than I can.

Go easy, and I will check into it.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 11 Oct 2009, 08:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: help I'm in mexico with code P0700

cintra07 welcome to the forum.

Candyman is on the right track as being low on fluid could cause the transaxle to throw the code and cause the computer to put you into Limp Mode (low gears only). That mode will stop you from doing more damage to your tranny.

Usually anyone with the first fault code (P0700) is told that they need to take it to someone with a scanner to find out the exact problem by scanning the TCM (transmission Control Module).

There's been a lot of problems with the Transaxle Solenoid Packs but I'd hate to tell you to just change that out and it not be the problem.

If none of the dealers or mechanics in your area have a computer or scanner, the only thing to do is throw parts at it. Actually some dealers here in the U.S. do the same thing anyway. It's an expensive way to fix things.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 10:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome.
Fluid is worth a shot - BE SURE they use ATF +4 ONLY.
Other fluids will louse up the transmission.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Oct 2009, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

tried changing transmission filter and fluid - reset by undoing battery cable - nothing happens --
still chec engine light - still low gears -

no Chrsyler dealership on the island - any other suggestions?

cindy@cozumelmexicohomes.com

please..
Old 29 Dec 2011, 01:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: help I'm in mexico with code P0700

Quote:
Originally Posted by cintra07 View Post
transmission is in lst or 2nd - tried unplug battery cable to reset - nothing - mechanic here (all speaking spanish w/out computer or being able to read code) said let's change trans filter and fluid - it may have been low when problem happened (?) but still can't get it out of low gears
send for remanufactured tcm online 225.00 no way around it give them your vin number to the car get it shipped to yoy plug it in your gone its done get one no way around it
Old 30 Jun 2012, 07:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cintra07 View Post
its your transmission control box uder your drivers side fender get it rebuilt or buy one from chrsler its up to u but that will definately fix it
Old 30 Jun 2012, 07:08 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly678 View Post
its your transmission control box uder your drivers side fender get it rebuilt or buy one from chrsler its up to u but that will definately fix it
Have you noticed the date? this is from 2009 !!!!
Old 30 Jun 2012, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hillbilly, XtrmDC2 is correct. If your going to answer up on older posts, make sure the person asking the question is still around and in need of help. The original post hasn't been on the forum since October 2010. You can find that information yourself by left clicking on the username of the poster and then hit Public Profile. The page that comes up tells you when the last time that poster was on the forums.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jun 2012, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hillbilly, XtrmDC2 is correct. If your going to answer up on older posts, make sure the person asking the question is still around and in need of help. The original post hasn't been on the forum since October 2010. You can find that information yourself by left clicking on the username of the poster and then hit Public Profile. The page that comes up (under Last Activity) tells you when the last time that poster was on the forums.

Tags
code p0700, transmission