Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Electrical issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Oct 2009, 07:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Electrical issue?

So I had a strange occurrence while driving to work this morning.

It was a rainy day and as I was driving all of a sudden all the lights on my dash came on (much like when you first startup the car) and then they went away. This didn't affect my driving at all, headlights stayed on, etc.

It was just really strange that those lights all came on then went away.

I thought maybe the rain had something to do with it, but it was a light rain and I didn't drive through any big puddles, but the road was wet.

Any thoughts?
Old 16 Oct 2009, 12:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Electrical issue?

Might be your multi-function switch starting to go bad. It has the dial on the stalk for the instrument lights.
You have fog lights?
Keep an eye out for them going on by themselves...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Oct 2009, 01:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for replying. I am not talking about the back light for the instrument cluster, I am talking about every warning light coming on, then they went off, then the alarm light came on and went off. It's essentially the same check that happens when I start my car, but this happened while I was driving.

Strange!
Old 16 Oct 2009, 03:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Oh, that is strange. Did the car "cough"? I'm thinking maybe ignition switch lost contact?
Old 16 Oct 2009, 08:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just had the same problem today on my 06 PTC- exactly the same. Only the warning lights came on. It did it twice when I drove home today. No hiccups and the engine ran fine, but something is wrong.

I cleaned the battery posts (they were somewhat corroded). I also removed the instrument cluster and examined the circuit board, but I couldn't detect anything out of the ordinary (nothing burnt).

HELP!!!!
Old 18 Oct 2009, 02:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

As Joe did, the first thing I would check would be the battery terminals. next, I would check where the various ground cables (black wires from the battery) fasten to the body and engine block. Intermittent ground problems can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins.
Old 19 Oct 2009, 08:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Matt - I'll have to trace all the ground wires coming off the battery and see what they look like at the ends. The battery terminals/connectors are clean now as is the main ground coming off the battery going to the body. I actually sanded away the paint on the body, then re-attached the ground.

So far,the problem hasn't come back, but that doesn't really mean anything, since I really haven't found a root cause.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Electrical issue?

My 06 started having the same problem. All the lights on the panel go on and needles (gas, mph, tac) go down. Amost instantly the lights go off and needles return to normal. This has happened 10-15 times in the past 2 months. Twice the engine turned off for a split second then gained power agian.

I dont have fog lights. I checked the condition of the batt cables. They are very, very clean. I will check grounds and other wires.

I was at AutoZone to purchase part for another vehicle and had them pull codes on the Cruiser. No codes.

Anyway... its not a great feeling that the engine may cut off at anytime.

If anyone has fixed a similar problem I would like that informaiton.

Any help would be appricated.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 05:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You have a lot of weight on your keychain? (extra keys, etc.)
My hunch is ignition switch.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the same thought... yes there is more weight on my keychain than my wifes and the issue does not often occur when she is driving.

You have any idea of a fix or replace cost?