Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Viper powered PT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2009, 06:00 am
Young Cruiser

Default Viper powered PT

I was having a discussion on another Forum about putting a Viper engine in a different car (a Magnum in this case) and I know there is a guy that recently put a Viper engine in a Chrysler 300 but the problem is it can no longer be a road car because it won't pass emissions since when they plug it in the computer tells them it's a Viper not a 300... I was wondering if anyone knew about the PT with the Viper engine in it and if the owner had or has the same problem?
Old 17 Oct 2009, 06:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Viper powered PT

The only Viper engine I've ever heard of in a PT was done by Chrysler and they wouldn't have to pass any kind of emission test because it was a prototype. They brought it to Cruise-the-Falls along with a couple other prototypes.

Also, don't forget a lot of states don't have emissions test. Like here in Florida, there's no state test of any kind and no federal emissions test.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Oct 2009 at 06:29 am.
Old 17 Oct 2009, 07:17 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Viper powered PT

Hey their Atrus1212,

Yep, like Crewzin said, it was a Prototype from Chrysler and a Company called Dacoma who hand built it directly with Chrysler in a joint partnership to show what kind of extreme possibilities the PT could offer.

It actually showed up on E-Bay a couple of years ago with a new paint scheme which now has a med/dark blue second tone from the beltline up. The Seller specified that the Vehicle was built as a Prototype Show Vehicle only, and had never been registered, or driven on the street, so I am not sure it would pass an Emissions Test if required by State Law depending on your location you would be trying to Register the Vehicle. Here is a Link to more about the Decoma V10 PT.

Decoma PT/10 - Top Ten Viper-Powered Rides - Jalopnik

So this PT was not considered a road car, but if you do a search, their are many other conversions that have been done and are as far as I can tell road cars with no problems. I believe it all comes down to budget, and what you want your vehicle to be. If you have enough budget to actually build a Viper V10 into another Production Vehicle, and you wanted a street legal road car, I would imagine it would not be that much trouble to build it to spec.

At least that is my thoughts. I am sure more people will be along to offer up their thoughts as well shortly.

Go easy, and I will catch you later.

Candyman

I dalso know of at least three Rear Wheel Drive V 8 Hemi Conversions that are Street Legal with no Emissions, or any other problems of any kind.

Anyways,

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 17 Oct 2009, 10:12 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Viper powered PT

Thanks for the info yeah I know the problem with the 300 that has been showing up on ebay is the fact that I think they just gutted all the components out of a Viper and dropped them into the 300 so the computer doesn't match the registration which is why it fails emissions I know if you had the kind of money to pay someone to rewrite the code for the car to say properly then it would be fine!! The problem with the LX vehicles is the computer in the car only works with the motor in it... if I wanted to drop a 6.1 into a car that had the 5.7 then I would have to swap the computer... but if I dropped a 426 stroker then I would be fine... don't know the whole story behind that... I know with the strokers you don't have to change the computer for some reason not sure what though!!

Tags
emissions, viper