Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coolant Leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2009, 01:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Coolant Leak

Hi I recently started to notice a red liquid on the floor of m garage. After I noticed it, it then stopped. I checked the coolant levels and the reserviour was almost empty and the radiator was full still. It stopped for like a week. Then it started again. I finally checked it again and both were empty this time. So I filled them up. I know I have a leak somewhere around the battery area. Everything in the battery area has pink dots in it. So it has to be spraying out somewhere but I cant find where. The holder for the batttery also has a small amount of coolant sitting in it. I will post pictures showing the problem.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 01:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant Leak

Old 18 Dec 2009, 02:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

the best way to find coolant leaks like this is to get a coolant system pressure tester. It is a little hand pump that goes on in place of the radiator cap and pressurizes the system with the engine cold.
If I had to guess I would suspect hoses and clamps since I can tell by the markings that they are the factory originals.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes everything is factory in the engine. I havent had to replace anything. Ill do the pressure check though and see what I can find.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 04:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have a PT 2003(77K) MILES) BOUGHT NEW--- I HAD SAME LEAK THIS PAST SUMMER-GET ( tablet or pouder form of bars leak-) get Chrylser approved anti freeze( If I was doing it again( Id flush it and refill with the new anti-freeze & one tablet of bars leak or 1/3 of powder) I called bars leak & alot of manufacturers also sell it under their brand name Mopar-DELCO etc.... it solved my problem almost 10K miles ago... Do it( I had same exact leak( I took out battery & cleaned tray also) good luck MJB PS ( what year & HOW MANY MILES?)
Old 18 Dec 2009, 05:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb15 View Post
the best way to find coolant leaks like this is to get a coolant system pressure tester. It is a little hand pump that goes on in place of the radiator cap and pressurizes the system with the engine cold.
If I had to guess I would suspect hoses and clamps since I can tell by the markings that they are the factory originals.
I'd guess hose/clamp also - get new hose & Stainless worm clamp - and don't overtighten!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Dec 2009, 05:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If not hoses or clamps, check the thermostat gasket.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 18 Dec 2009, 06:30 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

BARS Leak told me it it standard practice for all the auto manufacturers to use their product from day one-- worth a try for this small leak( mine was on edge of radiator) these radiators are alluminum & plastic- all leak eventually a little-this will seal it( just gain use it in 1/3rds. MJB

Tags
broke, coolant, leaks, problem