Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
120 volt accessory ports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jan 2010, 05:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 120 volt accessory ports

Hi! I am new to this forum. I have a base 2007 Cruiser that has two accessory ports, one in the console and one in the rear cargo area that has plastic caps and no plugs, and wanted to know if anyone knows if the wireing and elecrical plugs are inside the panels so I can put usable ports in? Thanks and have a great day!
Old 09 Jan 2010, 09:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 120 volt accessory ports

Welcome.
Wiring may be there, but it'll be 12, not 120 volts.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Jan 2010, 09:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

O my bad!!!! I know that it is 12 volts I was working with 120 volts all day and that was stuck in my head. I appreciate the feedback and I wil pop off the rear panel and check it out. Thanks again!
Old 10 Jan 2010, 11:46 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Not sure what you mean by "no plugs". On my base 08 PT, the front 12 VOLT power port receptacle (metal shell) is exposed by removing the plastic cap. If by "plugs" you mean something to plug into the port such as a cigarette lighter then, according to my 08 owners manual, a cigarette lighter may be used with the front port but not the (optional on mine) rear port. Otherwise any 12 volt electrical accessory (within limits) with a standard "cigarette style" plug can be used at either power port. The manual says my front port is fused @ 20 amps.

Last edited by Carl48; 10 Jan 2010 at 11:59 am. Reason: addendum
Old 10 Jan 2010, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 12 volt accessory ports

No I mean a plug on the wiring harness behind the side panel that if I go buy the metal receptical ( the part the you plug the cigarette lighter into)then I can just mount it in the existing hole and plug the harness into it.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 12:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

OK...just ran out to my PT and looked where the rear power port would be if there were one and now see what you meant. There is just a plain plastic cap and no receptacle underneath. Too cold out there now (a balmy 22, up from 4 earlier) to look for wiring behind the panel...would probably crack the plastic. Apparently my base 08 PT has power port in front but not in rear. Good question though...wiring could be there but just unused.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 01:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

O.K. You may want to look in your console there is probably a spot for one there too. I am afraid to crack the panel too for no reason if the wiring is not there! But thanks for looking anyway!
Old 10 Jan 2010, 03:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

To add a sidenote to this question I wanted to add that there are two types of additional outlets.
Like the factory lighter outlet you would have ignition on off type, or as I did, a constant power type.
I like to leave a phone plugged in and have power all the time.
There are also a wide variety of multi taps available such as the four way with lit switch device that I stuck into the bottom stash area.
Handles gps, rf transmitter and inverter.
Old 18 Jan 2010, 07:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have a 2007 that has the wiring for the port in the rear...not sure about the console,
Old 18 Jan 2010, 08:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply! I removed the door for the tool storage and I found the plug too. I also popped of the back seat window control panel with the cupholder and found the harness and plug for the console one. Thanks alot for the feedback. Have a Great Day!!!