PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Problem with door locks and alarm.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2010, 07:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problem with door locks and alarm.

My dad owns a 01' Pt Cruiser, Limited Edition, roughly 95k on it. No real problems as of yet, however, he has had a pretty annoying problem as of lately. Sometimes, randomly at night or during the day, the alarm will randomly start going off. Also, sometimes while driving, the door locks will start locking and unlocking by themselves. I was thinking/hoping the two concerns could be related, but I am not sure. My thinking was possibly that it had a faulty door latch maybe, but usually if that were the case, wouldnt the door ajar or hatch ajar lamp come on the cluster?

Just looking for some input, maybe this is a common problem?

I tired searching here and across google, and really did not come up with anything eye catching.

Thank you very much, this is a really nice site!
Old 20 Jan 2010, 07:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Problem with door locks and alarm.

Welcome.
The latching/unlatching sounds classic Remote Keyless Entry Module (RKEM) death. There are plenty of posts on that - it's above.behind the radio in the dash.
Alarm sounds more like a sensor... - Check under hood on driver's side by firewall - there's a switch there for the hood - check that.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Jan 2010, 07:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Welcome.
The latching/unlatching sounds classic Remote Keyless Entry Module (RKEM) death. There are plenty of posts on that - it's above.behind the radio in the dash.
Alarm sounds more like a sensor... - Check under hood on driver's side by firewall - there's a switch there for the hood - check that.
Wow, thanks for the quick reply!

Crazy though, I thought it would have been the other way around, haha. I just read through Alldata and found there was a Bulletin from Chrysler for the keyless entry module. I will call my local dealer tomorrow and see how it will cost to have that replaced and reprogrammed for him tomorrow.

Sounds like the hood ajar switch is a common failure for the alarm sounding issue?
Old 21 Jan 2010, 05:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_dads_pt View Post

Sounds like the hood ajar switch is a common failure for the alarm sounding issue?
Common, no, but It's a physical button switch you can check to see if it's stuck or not being depressed by hood.
Old 24 May 2010, 12:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey all... i'm having the same problem with my cruiser.. door sensor tells the car a door is open. doesn't say which one. then it goes off. then on again say while driving. so the interior light comes on and the doors don't auto lock, as well as the annoying ding it gives you as a reminder that the door is open. now my real problem is that it will go off again at like 3:00 a.m. and with the car being locked, it tells the car a door was opened and the alarm goes off... really annoying and draining the battery... not sure how to fix..