PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

dangerous cruise control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jan 2010, 08:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default dangerous cruise control

I have just had a problem with the cruise control on my 2003 PT. I set the cruise control and it engaged just like normal, but in a short time the car had accelerated by itself well past the set speed. To make things more dangerous, the cruise control would not disengage by pumping the brake or with the switch. I had to put it in neutral to stop the car and turn off the car in order to turn "off " the cruise control!!!!! I bought this PT new and have never received any notice or recall about this. What is going on, and how do you fix it? tell others, please. thanks, norma
Old 29 Jan 2010, 08:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: dangerous cruise control

Welcome to the forum.
I never heard of an instance like yours.
Obviously something stuck - try it again on a deserted stretch to see if you can repeat it, because a mechanic can't fix it if it doesn't do it when he tries it...
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Jan 2010, 06:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I have to agree with QSD. No body on the forum that I know of has ever had a stuck cruise control. I have heard of a problem where it won't engage at all. I think you have a one-off problem that's particular to your PT. Hope you find what's causing it.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 30 Jan 2010, 07:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for suggestion. I also already did have the same thought and tried it again, and YES, the same thing happenned again. I didn't give it time to speed up alot, but it definetely would NOT let go.
Old 01 Feb 2010, 08:32 am
Cool Cruiser

I had this happen with a brand new '70 Thunderbird with the 460 Thunderjet engine... I had the car about a month, had not used the cruise and was the first car I'd owned with it. I reached 70 mph and engaged the cruise; it immediately pulled the accelerator peddle from my foot and continued to pull it down. I was over 100 in a matter of few seconds - trying several things (touching the brake, turning the cruise off) before I thought of just switching off the engine and sliding the gearshift into neutral. I then cranked the engine and let it coast for a short time, then put it into 'D' and everything was fine. Needles to say, I did not use the cruise again that night. I took the car to the dealer the next morning; they replaced the entire cruise system - it work well. A scary moment.

I would suggest first, resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery for a minute or two. If it does it again, you need to take it to the dealer for analysis.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 03:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for your suggestion also. I'm content to just not use it for now. I'm reluctant to bring a "mystery" to the local dealership. Past experience has shown that they have a talent for making the even the most routine servicing into quite a chore.
Old 02 Feb 2010, 09:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

are you sure you are not driving a recalled toyota?: 1st:
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 22 Feb 2010, 04:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2003 PT Cruiser touring and at 98000 miles had the same thing happen to my wife last summer. The cruise would not disengage and she burned up the brakes trying to slow it down enough to turn off the car in the middle of Houston Traffic. She did not think to put it in neutral at the the time. Have not used the cruise since. Maybe if enough report the problem to the NHTSA a recall can be initiated, especially now that this type of issue is a hot top.

I did an internet search last summer for this problem and found nothing on this type of problem with PT Cruisers. I did not try to replicate the problem but will try it now that I am not alone with this problem and report my finding to the NHTSA.

But my question is since Chrysler has filed for bankruptcy is a recall even possible for older model cars now?
Old 22 Feb 2010, 04:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

i'd say the soleniod is bad. have the dealer look at that.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 08:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Jazzbot, I will be very interested to hear what you discover. I have still just decided to not use the cruise and let it go at that. But it would be nice to find out what the heck causes these cruise settings to stick "on" and especially dangerous that it actually speeds up by itself.