PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Cruiser "Shakes" while in Park

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jan 2010, 05:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy PT Cruiser "Shakes" while in Park

Hi,

So I just bought what I hope is a great PT Cruiser... It's a 2002 touring edition, 68k, one owner, no accidents, all around great cosmetically and mechanically.
It needs new rear breaks and there's a small transmission leak (took it to a mechanic to get it inspected before I agreed to buy it)... everything else is
fine.

The mechanic stated to me that the engine was good, everything was fine, and to buy the car.

Car's been great- only one problem. When I put the car in "Park" and let it idle, it shakes a little. I'm getting worried because I'm thinking this could be a piston misfiring. I know some other possibilities are that it may just need a tune-up or new motor mounts, but I'm really worried about the potential cost of having to replace the engine.

The car doesn't shake while in drive or reverse... haven't tried it in neutral. It only shakes in park.

Does anyone have any idea what may be going on here, and an estimate of how much it would cost to fix?

Thanks!

Last edited by thinkinboutit; 30 Jan 2010 at 05:10 pm.
Old 30 Jan 2010, 05:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser "Shakes" while in Park

MIGHT be a motor mount, but before you panic, put new wires and plugs in - gap plugs at 0.040.
if it persists after, then have mechanic examine motor mounts.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Jan 2010, 05:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So basically, it's unlikely that it needs a new engine? If I have to get new spark plugs and wires put into it, well okay then, but a new engine at 68k with one owner? I'd be pretty heartbroken
Old 30 Jan 2010, 05:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. QSD has given you good advise. A tune-up (plugs and wires) is never a bad idea when you buy a used car. When it's in park, open the hood and look thru the bottom of the hood from the driver seat and watch the engine as you give it some gas. Not too much as it has a rev limiter and won't let you go about about 3500-4000 rpm's. See how much the engine moves as your giving it gas. It shouldn't move a lot and it it does, it's probably the motor mount that needs replacing.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jan 2010, 06:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinboutit View Post
So basically, it's unlikely that it needs a new engine? If I have to get new spark plugs and wires put into it, well okay then, but a new engine at 68k with one owner? I'd be pretty heartbroken
VERY unlikely it needs a new engine, particularly since mechanic looked it over and it drives okay.
Old 09 Feb 2010, 11:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: PT Cruiser "Shakes" while in Park

Hey,

Just got it fixed. Just needed a tune up. Motor mounts were good

Thanks!
Old 10 Feb 2010, 09:01 am
Regular Cruiser

Good news! Its always nice to have a problem diagnosed correctly and fixed.
I was thinking maybe it had gained another 250 ftlbs of torque or something! My GTO used to shake at idle and I loved it!
Whipple Supercharger, BTG springs, Tokico shocks/struts, B&M short shifter, chrome GT 17" wheels, darkened tail lights, Chrome Grille, fuel door and vent knobs, painted bumpers, mirrors, airdam and center console, cueball shifter, Polk audio system w/ XM, Magnaflow muffler
Old 10 Feb 2010, 04:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinboutit View Post
Hey,

Just got it fixed. Just needed a tune up. Motor mounts were good

Thanks!
You're welcome.
These forums are great - I've learned so much....