PT Cruiser Forum  
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Rear hatch unlocks when I get in and start engine.

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 24 May 2012, 06:04 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Eatonton, Georgia
Posts: 116
Send a message via Yahoo to Jtwheels2007
Default Re: Rear hatch unlocks when I get in and start engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1703 View Post
All of a sudden my, 2005 PT Cruiser Touring, back hatch unlatches every time I get in and start the engine. I have to get out, walk around, and push it shut. If I lock the doors with the button before I start the engine, it stays latched.
It did it briefly a couple of months ago but seemed to fix itself when I went around and firmly shut all doors but now nothing seems to work.
Anyone else had this problem? What can I do to fix it?

In order to TEMPORARILY fix this problem in my 2005, I simply took off the interior piece on the hatch, and unplugged the handle, making it to where you HAVE to use a key to open it. I did this simply to buy time until i could buy a new hatch assembly from the dealer. Its mildly aggravating, but it avoids having the hatch open randomly. However since I did so, for some reason my running lights keep blowing out. First it was my passenger side, and a week later it was my drivers side. The brake lights work just fine, but the running lights blow. could unplugging my handle have anything to do with my lights blowing out?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 24 May 2012, 06:10 pm
CREWZIN's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 24,294
Default Re: Rear hatch unlocks when I get in and start engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtwheels2007 View Post
could unplugging my handle have anything to do with my lights blowing out?
Not according to the schematic of the rear lights in the Haynes/Chilton manuals. But who knows, maybe unplugging the handle has a ground wire that's not grounded anymore. Only way to really tell is to plug the handle back in.
__________________
......
...just CREWZIN along! . . . PT Cruiser Links Moderator
2000 PT. Original Owner, 119,000 miles
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12 Aug 2012, 11:15 am
ejstith's Avatar
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 102
Default Re: Rear hatch unlocks when I get in and start engine.

I have had this problem ever since I've had mine. I unplugged "something" but that didn't fix it. Then all of a sudden it worked correctly for a long time but now it's back at it. I just went out & unplugged the wire that goes to the lock. Maybe that will do it. Although it's handy when it works I can live without it & open it with the key just like my '56 Ford....
__________________
2005 PT, Limited turbo Lite. Automatic all whistles and bells.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03 Sep 2012, 05:21 am
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Eatonton, Georgia
Posts: 116
Send a message via Yahoo to Jtwheels2007
Default Re: Rear hatch unlocks when I get in and start engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinparker445 View Post
You'd need a whole new rear handle assembly, or you could bypass the pressure switch and use a push button switch instead. That's what I ended up doing.
is ^ relatively easy to do *for some1 with very minimal wiring knowledge*? How easy would it be to go about 'repairing' wiring once I am able to find a new assembly? where did you locate your push button? is there a certain location on the wiring harness easy to tap into that is relatively close drivers seat that might make wiring a little simpler?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03 Sep 2012, 09:46 am
2step's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New Braunfels, Texas.
Posts: 1,538
Default Re: Rear hatch unlocks when I get in and start engine.

I have the earlier version latch that only "unlocks" with the remote or the master unlock switch on the driver's door. Then you have to manually pivot the lever with the oval logo up with your hand and raise the hatch. The "new" style hatch release with the pressure membrane is one of those deals that has less parts so it's cheaper in the end for the manufacturer. I believe they began using those in '05.

I used to routinely search eBay for anything Cruiser and I came across a used one of the new style hatch handles that was very cheaply priced with low or no bids. I bought it because I thought it was cool at the time. I cleaned it up and put new double sided tape on it but then never did anything with it and eventually sold it to another owner who needed it. Your choices are pay the big bucks new from Chrysler or buy used from someone parting out a car.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 04 Sep 2012, 07:11 am
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Eatonton, Georgia
Posts: 116
Send a message via Yahoo to Jtwheels2007
Default Re: Rear hatch unlocks when I get in and start engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
I have the earlier version latch that only "unlocks" with the remote or the master unlock switch on the driver's door. Then you have to manually pivot the lever with the oval logo up with your hand and raise the hatch. The "new" style hatch release with the pressure membrane is one of those deals that has less parts so it's cheaper in the end for the manufacturer. I believe they began using those in '05.

I used to routinely search eBay for anything Cruiser and I came across a used one of the new style hatch handles that was very cheaply priced with low or no bids. I bought it because I thought it was cool at the time. I cleaned it up and put new double sided tape on it but then never did anything with it and eventually sold it to another owner who needed it. Your choices are pay the big bucks new from Chrysler or buy used from someone parting out a car.
I attempted the same thing *ebay* and that is all find and dandy IF you can find some1 who has 1 that color matches your car. once you buy it, trying to take to paint shop to get color matched, you might as well spend the big bucks to buy 1 from dealer
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 04 Sep 2012, 10:22 pm
Young Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 75
Default Re: Rear hatch unlocks when I get in and start engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtwheels2007 View Post
is ^ relatively easy to do *for some1 with very minimal wiring knowledge*? How easy would it be to go about 'repairing' wiring once I am able to find a new assembly? where did you locate your push button? is there a certain location on the wiring harness easy to tap into that is relatively close drivers seat that might make wiring a little simpler?
Based on your other posts, it sounds like you've figured it out. But it is very simple; just tap into the existing wires.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 13 Feb 2014, 11:58 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 15
Default Re: Rear hatch unlocks when I get in and start engine.

I have an '05 with the same problem...
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Rear Hatch Handle linkinparker445 Classifieds: For Sale/Trade 12 06 Sep 2012 07:53 pm
Help..rear hatch satownplayer General PT Cruiser Discussions 3 09 Dec 2007 10:21 am
wtb rear hatch josheypt Classifieds: Want To Buy 0 24 Feb 2006 08:19 pm
Insulated rear hatch turbomangt General PT Cruiser Discussions 4 07 May 2004 06:00 pm
Rear hatch problem... CHROMEDCRUISER Sound and Security Forum 6 27 Apr 2004 12:21 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors