PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Rear hatch unlocks when I get in and start engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2012, 06:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Jtwheels2007
Default Re: Rear hatch unlocks when I get in and start engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1703 View Post
All of a sudden my, 2005 PT Cruiser Touring, back hatch unlatches every time I get in and start the engine. I have to get out, walk around, and push it shut. If I lock the doors with the button before I start the engine, it stays latched.
It did it briefly a couple of months ago but seemed to fix itself when I went around and firmly shut all doors but now nothing seems to work.
Anyone else had this problem? What can I do to fix it?

In order to TEMPORARILY fix this problem in my 2005, I simply took off the interior piece on the hatch, and unplugged the handle, making it to where you HAVE to use a key to open it. I did this simply to buy time until i could buy a new hatch assembly from the dealer. Its mildly aggravating, but it avoids having the hatch open randomly. However since I did so, for some reason my running lights keep blowing out. First it was my passenger side, and a week later it was my drivers side. The brake lights work just fine, but the running lights blow. could unplugging my handle have anything to do with my lights blowing out?
Old 24 May 2012, 06:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtwheels2007 View Post
could unplugging my handle have anything to do with my lights blowing out?
Not according to the schematic of the rear lights in the Haynes/Chilton manuals. But who knows, maybe unplugging the handle has a ground wire that's not grounded anymore. Only way to really tell is to plug the handle back in.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 12 Aug 2012, 11:15 am
Regular Cruiser

I have had this problem ever since I've had mine. I unplugged "something" but that didn't fix it. Then all of a sudden it worked correctly for a long time but now it's back at it. I just went out & unplugged the wire that goes to the lock. Maybe that will do it. Although it's handy when it works I can live without it & open it with the key just like my '56 Ford....
Old 03 Sep 2012, 05:21 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinparker445 View Post
You'd need a whole new rear handle assembly, or you could bypass the pressure switch and use a push button switch instead. That's what I ended up doing.
is ^ relatively easy to do *for some1 with very minimal wiring knowledge*? How easy would it be to go about 'repairing' wiring once I am able to find a new assembly? where did you locate your push button? is there a certain location on the wiring harness easy to tap into that is relatively close drivers seat that might make wiring a little simpler?
Old 03 Sep 2012, 09:46 am
Senior Cruiser

I have the earlier version latch that only "unlocks" with the remote or the master unlock switch on the driver's door. Then you have to manually pivot the lever with the oval logo up with your hand and raise the hatch. The "new" style hatch release with the pressure membrane is one of those deals that has less parts so it's cheaper in the end for the manufacturer. I believe they began using those in '05.

I used to routinely search eBay for anything Cruiser and I came across a used one of the new style hatch handles that was very cheaply priced with low or no bids. I bought it because I thought it was cool at the time. I cleaned it up and put new double sided tape on it but then never did anything with it and eventually sold it to another owner who needed it. Your choices are pay the big bucks new from Chrysler or buy used from someone parting out a car.
Old 04 Sep 2012, 07:11 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2step View Post
I have the earlier version latch that only "unlocks" with the remote or the master unlock switch on the driver's door. Then you have to manually pivot the lever with the oval logo up with your hand and raise the hatch. The "new" style hatch release with the pressure membrane is one of those deals that has less parts so it's cheaper in the end for the manufacturer. I believe they began using those in '05.

I used to routinely search eBay for anything Cruiser and I came across a used one of the new style hatch handles that was very cheaply priced with low or no bids. I bought it because I thought it was cool at the time. I cleaned it up and put new double sided tape on it but then never did anything with it and eventually sold it to another owner who needed it. Your choices are pay the big bucks new from Chrysler or buy used from someone parting out a car.
I attempted the same thing *ebay* and that is all find and dandy IF you can find some1 who has 1 that color matches your car. once you buy it, trying to take to paint shop to get color matched, you might as well spend the big bucks to buy 1 from dealer
Old 04 Sep 2012, 10:22 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtwheels2007 View Post
is ^ relatively easy to do *for some1 with very minimal wiring knowledge*? How easy would it be to go about 'repairing' wiring once I am able to find a new assembly? where did you locate your push button? is there a certain location on the wiring harness easy to tap into that is relatively close drivers seat that might make wiring a little simpler?
Based on your other posts, it sounds like you've figured it out. But it is very simple; just tap into the existing wires.
Old 13 Feb 2014, 11:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have an '05 with the same problem...