PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replaced But..

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Feb 2010, 07:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Crankshaft Position Sensor Replaced But..

So recently I was driving my 2001 Pt Cruiser when all of a sudden the engine shut off and I was getting Error Code P0340 & P0320 so I decided to replace the Crankshaft position sensor and I thought that worked because I was able to start the car again but now everytime I put the car into drive the engine cuts out again and sometimes it cannot start again. I'm still getting the same error codes... Any Ideas?
Troy
colpay likes this.

Last edited by SuperTroy; 07 Feb 2010 at 07:51 pm.
Old 07 Feb 2010, 08:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor Replaced But..

Troy, welcome to the Forum. Was your replacement OEM or aftermarket? Aftermarket sensors sometimes do not like our PT's. How did you diagnose the problem?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 07 Feb 2010, 08:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I picked it up at NAPA Canada today for around $130.
It all starting when I was driving home and felt the engine cut out and the car felt like it was in neutral so i pulled over to the side and got it towed home and then today I ran the dance we'll say for the error codes and figured id change the crankshaft position sensor so that took FOREVER to get out because it broke into pieces I then replaced it with the new one and the car now starts again just that it dies and still has same error counts even after I resetted the error codes.
Old 08 Feb 2010, 09:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

You need to replace the camshaft sensor also. They share the same power and ground so one can effect the other. You may also have a wire shorting but that is the less likely issue. The cam sensor is the most common problem. Check your wiring harness for the crank sensor up into the bigger part of the harness.
Old 08 Jul 2010, 01:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Troy, welcome to the Forum. Was your replacement OEM or aftermarket? Aftermarket sensors sometimes do not like our PT's. How did you diagnose the problem?
You bet, I have bought an aftermarket crank position sensor on ebay and guess what I was getting error codes and engine misfires.. From that day on, I never opted for aftermarket parts anymore..

Last edited by leedavis; 12 Jul 2010 at 10:32 pm.
Old 08 Jul 2010, 09:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Only stock parts I don't want are the tires, brake pads, and ignition wires.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 19 Dec 2012, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I too was having the 340 and 320 code. After replacing the camsensor, cranksensor, and coil it idled fine but as I drove down the road it stuttered and died when the car reached around 2500 rpm. Finally I discovered the wire pack connecting these sensors, can be found back by the cranksensor, had broken free from its clip and was being rubbed by the axle boot. The wires were rubbed so bad that one was all but separated. Apparently as the car accelerated the engine moved the wire just enough that the connection was failing. At that point I would get the "sometimes I can't see the camsensor" (sorry I forgot that code maybe 1391). So after I repaired the split wire I have not had any problems with the car and its been about 200 miles since then. Just wanted to share what I had found and maybe help someone save some time. Check the wire harness even if you think no way that's not it.
Raine likes this.
Old 19 Dec 2012, 01:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruszala View Post
I too was having the 340 and 320 code. After replacing the camsensor, cranksensor, and coil it idled fine but as I drove down the road it stuttered and died when the car reached around 2500 rpm. Finally I discovered the wire pack connecting these sensors, can be found back by the cranksensor, had broken free from its clip and was being rubbed by the axle boot. The wires were rubbed so bad that one was all but separated. Apparently as the car accelerated the engine moved the wire just enough that the connection was failing. At that point I would get the "sometimes I can't see the camsensor" (sorry I forgot that code maybe 1391). So after I repaired the split wire I have not had any problems with the car and its been about 200 miles since then. Just wanted to share what I had found and maybe help someone save some time. Check the wire harness even if you think no way that's not it.
This has happened to quite a few people. When the codes come up it is recommended to replace the sensor. If they still come up after replacement then it is recommended so start back tracing the wiring.
Old 01 Jan 2013, 01:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

HELP! My 2003 PT Cruiser is starting up randomly. From the code it too stated the Crank shaft sensor needed to be replaced. Replaced the part and the vehicle started up immediately. A few days later it began acting up AGAIN and starts up whenever it feels like it but not every time. Don’t want to loose my job due to my vehicle not being dependable. Please HELP! Ladyinmaine2@gmail.com
Old 01 Jan 2013, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinmaine2 View Post
HELP! My 2003 PT Cruiser is starting up randomly. From the code it too stated the Crank shaft sensor needed to be replaced. Replaced the part and the vehicle started up immediately. A few days later it began acting up AGAIN and starts up whenever it feels like it but not every time. Donít want to loose my job due to my vehicle not being dependable. Please HELP! Ladyinmaine2@gmail.com
Could be the cam sensor. Also check the wiring from both sensors to the harness and see if it has rubbed against something causing a short. this has happened to a few people.
UptownSport likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com