PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PISSED. Mechanic installed new tie rod, f***ed up my alignment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2010, 07:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry PISSED. Mechanic installed new tie rod, f***ed up my alignment

Hi there,

So I bought this PT Cruiser, and got a pretty good deal on it. It needed new rear brake pads and rotors, a tune up, and it had a small leak around the transmission so it needed a new pan and gasket. It's a one owner, 68k, 2004, and I got an excellent deal, so I took it. It was fine to drive, everything's great.

Had a family emergency so I drove it back home (over 1000 miles). Alignment was great.... everything was great.

Got it back here, had an acquaintance work on it who is a garage mechanic and does all of his work out of his garage. Parts and labor, he charges me $365 total, and I'm thinking, "Great! What a great price!"

So he tells me I need a new tie rod, so he puts that in, everything's good...

I get the car back the next day, and the receipts... He billed me for six rotors, and I don't see the receipt for the pan and gasket for the transmission...

He also tells me, "The alignment isn't great so you'll need to take that to a shop" I immediately am not too thrilled about this... I get in the car, take it for a drive, and the alignment SUCKS!!!

It was perfect before he touched it and now it's at a 15/20 degree angle... I am seriously upset.

Advice?

And please don't flame me; I'm a college student so of course I tried to save some money... won't do that again
Old 09 Feb 2010, 09:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PISSED. Mechanic installed new tie rod, f***ed up my alignment

So where did he put the other two rotors???

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 09 Feb 2010, 09:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinboutit View Post
Hi there,

So I bought this PT Cruiser, and got a pretty good deal on it. It needed new rear brake pads and rotors, a tune up, and it had a small leak around the transmission so it needed a new pan and gasket. It's a one owner, 68k, 2004, and I got an excellent deal, so I took it. It was fine to drive, everything's great.

Had a family emergency so I drove it back home (over 1000 miles). Alignment was great.... everything was great.

Got it back here, had an acquaintance work on it who is a garage mechanic and does all of his work out of his garage. Parts and labor, he charges me $365 total, and I'm thinking, "Great! What a great price!"

So he tells me I need a new tie rod, so he puts that in, everything's good...

I get the car back the next day, and the receipts... He billed me for six rotors, and I don't see the receipt for the pan and gasket for the transmission...

He also tells me, "The alignment isn't great so you'll need to take that to a shop" I immediately am not too thrilled about this... I get in the car, take it for a drive, and the alignment SUCKS!!!

It was perfect before he touched it and now it's at a 15/20 degree angle... I am seriously upset.

Advice?

And please don't flame me; I'm a college student so of course I tried to save some money... won't do that again

Take it to a tire place and have them align it quick or you will ruin your front tires. And find out whats up with that bill.
Old 09 Feb 2010, 09:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Haha.. he only replaced the back rotors. So where did the other FOUR go I guess? I can tell you where I WANT him to put them :P
Old 09 Feb 2010, 10:08 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

As for the 6 rotors? Ummmmm can't give much insight there. The tie rod end I can shed some light on. Standard procedure for that would be to do an alignment after the repair. His shop may not have had an alignment rack. Still not a good excuse. As for the trans repair.... the gasket is RTV silicone. It's just a tube of sealer. With out seeing the repairs I can't say that you got ripped or not. Sounds like a fairly reasonable price for what you got. He should have told you upfront that you would have to get it aligned afterwards or should have gotten it done himself.... Having said all that, you got what you paid for. At a dealer that would have run you about 600-700 bucks.
Old 09 Feb 2010, 10:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: PISSED. Mechanic installed new tie rod, f***ed up my alignment

So he replaced two rotors, two brake pads, a tie rod, did a tune up, and supposedly (not sure how much I trust him here) put in a new tranny pan and gasket... and billed me $365, which included parts.... I'm wondering how much I got took here lol.

I'm getting a mechanic to put it under a lift tomorrow and see if there's a new pan and gasket under it... and then I'm going to tell the guy who "fixed" my car that he needs to refund the cost for the other four rotors that mysteriously appeared on my bill.

Not. Thrilled.

I've never taken advantage of anyone but I feel pretty took here. I'm not saying that he charged me too much (although I wished I'd paid more and gotten it done at a shop now), but I have nothing that tells me that that tranny leak is fixed. Ugh.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 06:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I doubt he replaced the pan. Typically unless it's damaged you don't need to replace it. Most likely he removed it and resealed it. As for the way it's billed.... I don't know.If he is doing the work out of his garage the ticket may be handwritten which could account for the way it's written....If the work was done correctly then you got a heck of a deal!