Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
E3 plugs for my PT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2010, 11:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Post E3 plugs for my PT?

I just got a PT and while she is running great, after reading about the ignition wires I wanted to put a better set in with some new plugs. I have been reading about E3 plugs and some seem to love them and some hate them. Have any of you guys used them? And did you like them?

E3 Spark Plug DiamondFire

And I was looking at these MSD Ignition wires, any reports good or bad on them?
MSD Ignition Wire Set

Last edited by Dino; 22 Feb 2010 at 09:45 pm.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 05:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: E3 plugs for my PT?

MSD wires are fine, I am not convinced the e3 plugs are worth it.
You can get irridium plugs, and those are good without being that pricey.
Gap at 0.040 - smaller for turbo.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 10 Feb 2010 at 05:04 pm. Reason: spell
Old 10 Feb 2010, 05:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

MSD wires are great. I use them in my modified Neon SRT-4. As for plugs there are no miracle plugs out there that will make a car run any better than it was designed to run. It's nothing but hype and advertising. I use Bosch Double platinum plugs in my wife's '04 non turbo PT and the car runs like it was still new. If you have a '04 turbo PT I'd stick with the stock Copper Plus plugs. I use them in my 350 hp Neon and the car is a beast. I'd put the Bosch Dbl Plats (not to be used in turbo cars) and the stock Copper plus plugs up against the irridium plugs any day and have a fine running car and more money left in my wallet. Your car, your decision.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 10 Feb 2010, 07:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks guys

The E3 plugs aren't that pricey at 5.99 each compared some others but I think I'm leaning on not getting them the design looks pretty cool, but the actual quality of the plug looks cheap. I heard they're made in China also, but on the other hand what isn't these days so who knows. My car isn't a turbo so maybe some platinum tipped would be the way to go. And thanks for the tip on the gaping.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 07:31 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Thanks guys

The E3 plugs aren't that pricey at 5.99 each compared some others but I think I'm leaning on not getting them the design looks pretty cool, but the actual quality of the plug looks cheap. I heard they're made in China also, but on the other hand what isn't these days so who knows. My car isn't a turbo so maybe some platinum tipped would be the way to go. And thanks for the tip on the gaping.
If you buy the Bosch Dbl Plats they are pregapped and don't need to be messed with.

Old 10 Feb 2010, 07:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
If you buy the Bosch Dbl Plats they are pregapped and don't need to be messed with.
That's what I thought but correct me if I'm wrong my it seems like people on the forum are re-gapping preset plugs
Old 10 Feb 2010, 07:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
That's what I thought but correct me if I'm wrong my it seems like people on the forum are re-gapping preset plugs
I bought pre-gapped and found a wide variation out of the box.
Old 11 Feb 2010, 12:01 am
Senior Cruiser

I ended up spending more than I wanted but I rather do it once right, I bought these wires and these plugs. I ordered them online I will let you know how it goes when I get them. Don't worry I'm not buying the mileage thing, I'm just hoping between the plugs, wires, air filter, and synthetic oil, I will irk out the best mileage my little truck can get.

Granatelli Mpg/Plus Gas Saving Ignition Wire Set

MPG/PLUS GAS SAVING IGNITION WIRE SET

* Granatelli Performance Ignition Wire Set is GUARANTEED to boost your MPG to 15%!
* Boosts horsepower and torque and ensures a smoother running engine
* Rates 0-ohm resistance (compare to 4,000-7,000 ohms for conventional wires)
* Easy DIY installation

Granatelli's MPG/Plus Performance Ignition Set is an easy way to significantly increase your gas mileage…not a bad idea these days! Also increases horsepower and torque for better engine performance and a more responsive ride. The MPG/Plus Performance Ignition Set features 0-ohm resistance solid stainless steel core wires plus an RFI/EFI Hybrid Protection Ring that prevents stereo noise and allows full coil power to reach the spark plug. The result is full power, a hotter spark, more complete combustion, better fuel efficiency, more power and better overall performance… without replacing the coil! Premium technology throughout: stainless steel inner core for high tensile strength, silver plated copper outer core for high conductivity, EPDM insulation, fiberglass braiding for strength, 500° silicone jacket and boots and heavy-duty stainless steel snap-lock terminals at the spark plug! Meets or exceeds OEM specifications. Limited lifetime warranty

Granatelli MPG/Plus Gas Saving Ignition Wire Sets : CarParts, Tools and Equipment

And these plugs
Denso

IRIDIUM POWER SPARK PLUGS

* Iridium (extracted from meteorites) is far superior to platinum—6 times harder, 8 times stronger and able to take temperatures up to 1200° F hotter!
* Iridium center electrode tip is the world's smallest (only 0.4mm diameter) to produce the hottest, most concentrated spark while requiring the least voltage (5,000 less volts to fire than conventional spark plugs!)
* For performance or everyday driving, this plug is the one!

Because of its patented technology, the iridium power plug outperforms any plug today…including the popular platinum! It fires better and incorporates all the top features below to maximize performance even under the most extreme conditions—you'll enjoy more horsepower, faster, easier starts, less misfires under heavy loads plus better fuel at all times! Iridium is the most corrosion-resistant metal used in plugs today…it can survive the super-high temperatures (up to 4400° F) associated with high-performance ignitions and special fuel systems (turbo, supercharger, nitrous, etc.).
MORE HIGH-PERFORMANCE FEATURES THAN ANY OTHER PLUG!
PREFIRED. For highest quality!
5-RIB DESIGN. Prevents flashover and decreases voltage loss.
INSULATOR. Purified alumina power for exceptional dielectric strength and thermal conductivity at high temperatures.
COPPER-GLASS SEAL. Ensures proper heat is maintained and hot combustion gases are excluded.
COPPER-CORED CENTER ELECTRODE. For superior thermal conductivity.
LASER WELDING. 360° seal helps prevent electrode wear.
U-GROOVE GROUND ELECTRODE. Allows spark to develop into a larger, hotter flash front for most complete combustion—bad starts caused by poor fuel mixtures are virtually eliminated.
PATENTED IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE. Tapered cut improves firing performance by reducing quenching.

DENSO IRIDIUM SPARK PLUG - CarParts Quality Discount Parts and Accessories

Last edited by Dino; 11 Feb 2010 at 12:03 am.
Old 11 Feb 2010, 01:08 am
Veteran Cruiser

Well, I wouldn't call it the right way. I'd call it the most expensive way. I could get the same results for under $60 for both MSD wires and Copper Plus plugs. You did what you did. Be very careful when adjusting the gap on the irridium plugs. The tip will break pretty easily. Standard gap is between .028-.035.

Old 11 Feb 2010, 07:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Green View Post
Well, I wouldn't call it the right way. I'd call it the most expensive way. I could get the same results for under $60 for both MSD wires and Copper Plus plugs. You did what you did. Be very careful when adjusting the gap on the irridium plugs. The tip will break pretty easily. Standard gap is between .028-.035.
Agreed. I use a wood block. tap the "arm" on the block to narrow the gap, hook the arm on the edge of the block and pull to widen gap.
I'd go on upper end of the gap Mean Green cited if you're non-turbo.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles