PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2010, 10:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to zharrison07 Send a message via Yahoo to zharrison07
Exclamation 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition

i have an '06 pt touring. it has 33K miles on it and for some reason, im having an issue with idling. when i stop the car or if i am sitting at stoplight, etc, the car will start idling really rough and u can actually see the RPM guage fluctuating. also, if i shift down and my RPM's drop below 5, the engine will idle really rough then too. i have actually had the car cut off on me when this happens. now my check engine light is coming on, and for some unexplained reason, my cruise control has also stopped working....any ideas about what might be the issue(s)? i really need help with this....thanks
Old 12 Feb 2010, 09:33 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by zharrison07 View Post
i have an '06 pt touring. it has 33K miles on it and for some reason, im having an issue with idling. when i stop the car or if i am sitting at stoplight, etc, the car will start idling really rough and u can actually see the RPM guage fluctuating. also, if i shift down and my RPM's drop below 5, the engine will idle really rough then too. i have actually had the car cut off on me when this happens. now my check engine light is coming on, and for some unexplained reason, my cruise control has also stopped working....any ideas about what might be the issue(s)? i really need help with this....thanks
I'm new to the PT thing but I have been reading a lot and and the rough idling
sounds like wires/tuneup the stock wires are crap. As far as the cruise control I'm not sure but have read about issues with them. You may want to run a search with the search function up top.
Old 12 Feb 2010, 10:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Dino is right on. Start with a good brand of ignition wires and new plugs - gap at 0.040.
For cruise, check vacuum lines - there's one that goes in underneath the cruise "gizmo" on the passenger side - I know that prevents it from working.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Feb 2010, 11:53 am
Senior Cruiser

Yes you always want to start with the simple stuff! First you want to make sure your car is up to date in all the tune ups before you start troubleshooting! Good luck my friend!

Old 15 Feb 2010, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition

okay....so i replaced the plugs and wires....and that seemed to help the idling for...oh, maybe...a couple hours...idling isn't quite as bad, but it still has it's moments. also, car has started to "surge" at times (pulling off from complete stop/while actually driving-just depends). check engine light is still on...took it to AutoZone and got them to bring up the codes...P0068 and P0123...according to them, i need to replace my TPS and MAP sensors.....any ideas? y'all's help has been greatly appreciated...i just really want to get my car up and running right again.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 11:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm guessing an intake leak. Sray starting fluid or wd 40 along intake gasket - if idle smooths out, it's intake gasket.
Check all hose & clamps for intake leak - cruise works off intake vacuum.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Feb 2010, 11:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

correct me if i'm wrong, but the intake is the thing that comes over the spark plugs and spreads out into 4 (what i like to call) "fingers"?
Old 15 Feb 2010, 12:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

yes that would be the intake
Old 15 Feb 2010, 01:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition

Okkie dokkie-i will try that. When I go to spray to starter fluid, though, do I need to take the cover off? Or do I leave it bolted on like it is and just spray around? Thanks for the help!
Old 15 Feb 2010, 04:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Just spray around the manifold, do NOT loosen any bolts.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar

Tags
2006, chrysler, engine problems, pt cruiser, touring