PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help - No power streering, No Error codes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Feb 2010, 08:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to studafunk
Default Help - No power streering, No Error codes

Hi Guys, this is my first post on the forum.

I have a 2002 PT Cruiser 2.0 Ltd, its been sat on my driveway now for over a year, as it was my fathers car before he passed away.

Ive have just come to MOT the car and for some strange reason the power steering is not working (it was fine before it went on the driveway). Ive plugged it into a machine and there are no error codes at all (i even used the on/off tick to display them on the dash).

Ive been reading a few websites but cannot seam to find the same problem, ive been told it could be very pricey to have the fault diagnosed.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Stuart
Old 16 Feb 2010, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help - No power streering, No Error codes

Stuart,

You didn't fill in your profile but I take it you live in the UK because of the 2.0 liter engine (which the USA doesn't have) and the MOT test which only is on your side of the pond. The power steering pump itself won't set off any fault codes. The code system is mainly for electrical diagnostics, engine malfunctions and emissions related faults.

If you are in the UK and the PT has sat outside for a year your lucky that the power steering is the only thing not working. I would just have to guess, but I would think the power steering pump has probably frozen up. There's been loads of owners that lost their pump (including me) so they aren't the greatest piece of engineering in the first place. Can't tell you prices where you are but mine was $300 to replace (covered by an aftermarket warranty).

For more help, closer to you if you are in the UK, try the UK's biggest PT Cruiser site: UK Cruiser Club :: Index

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 16 Feb 2010 at 10:14 am.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 09:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey CREWZIN

Thanks for the advice mate, the car has actually been sitting around for a little longer that a year but im not exactly sure how long it might me nearly 2!

Yeah im based in the UK, prices for pumps seam to be around £160 ($250) not sure on the price for fitting yet, i should imagine it will be the same again. I would look at doing it myself but im a complete novice at this type of thing, plus after reading a few posts on here it seams its not the easiest of jobs.

One more thing i forgot to mention in my last post is; when we had it plugged into the diagbnostics machine we singled out the power steering pump and it gave a reading of 'low pressure'. Would you still suggest the pump may me the issue?

again many thanks for your help and advice.

Stuart
Old 16 Feb 2010, 09:56 am
Obsessed Cruiser

If the scanner indicated "low pressure" that should have sent a code of P0551 ( I believe) which comes from a switch located on the steering rack (see picture) IF it's the same on your 2.0 engine. Check the switch, check to see if you have a separate belt on the pump and check fluid level. Can't help more than that.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 16 Feb 2010 at 10:14 am.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 10:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks again for your advice.

Im not sure if its the same as there is no picture but i am aware of the switch on the steering rack.

I originally looked at changing the switch but because of what the switch actually does i thought that its probably not be the issue.

Im not sure what is best to try; the pump or the switch. Decisions, decisions
Old 16 Feb 2010, 10:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

and the image appears! haha!

As i said there is a switch on the steering rack so im pretty sure it wil be the same on mine as it is on yours.
Old 17 Feb 2010, 07:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You check basics? Top off the PS fluid with ATF + 4 (yes, auto transmission fluid).
It make any noise? "groan" or "squeal" ?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 17 Feb 2010, 08:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah the fluid was topped up, no it doesnt make a sound. There just is no power steering.

Its quite strange i cant seem to find anyone with the same issue on any board.