Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Reliability-Manual vs. automatic transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Feb 2010, 06:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Reliability-Manual vs. automatic transmission

Ok, I've rulled out the Chevy HHR and going to buy a Cruiser within the next two weeks. I'd like an automatic but many user reviews recommend the manual transmission for better long term reliability. I suspect there are many who have gotten high mileage from their automatics, but overall, would I be better going with the stick for long term reilability? I've found a lease return '07, stick, with 13k miles, with a good price. Looks sweet and I'm kind of stoked to get it if the consensus is the stick is the better way to go. Thanks for everyones help!
Old 16 Feb 2010, 06:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Reliability-Manual vs. automatic transmission

There is no question that the auto is a weak link and WILL go out but as you said i am sure some will get way over 100,000 on a auto i would prefeer a stick but thats just me oh my 06 touring is a auto and it getts right at 20mph
Old 16 Feb 2010, 07:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forums.
No question - manual gives better performance, better mileage, and is more reliable - even if it does need work, it's cheaper to work on.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Feb 2010, 11:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

My manual days are over, I can't deal with a stick in traffic anymore it gets old fast. On the open rode it's a joy but not that much open rode around here.

With that said you will get better performance and economy with the stick, but I will stick with my auto, I don't race my PT and I will make sure it gets serviced and I'm thinking I will get 100,000 if not more out of it.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 11:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

I wouldn't trade my stick...
PT Cruiser Inferno Red GT Cruiser. 5Spd 215HO HP 17" Chrome wheels, Chrome gas cap, door spears, door handle cups, door buttons,door lock pins, vent covers,rear spoiler,rear painted mudflaps,, chrome/carbon fibre/like ebrake cover, wiper jet covers,bra, seat covers,Mr. Mikes welting, chrome valve stems and caps, leather ebrake boot,chrome change holder cover,black/red leather steering wheel cover, chrome antenna bezel and chrome 12:" antenna,rear quarter window decals, winter car cover for winter storage, special made DREAM CREWZER dash plaque.upper windshield eyebrow tint , gts headlight protectors, carbon fibre taillight covers,car cover,K&N drop in filter, AMX intake pipe, shiny metal steering wheel spoke covers:Mopar door sills, rear chrome licence insert.street series badge,billett grill,engine start button, red brake calipers,painted engine manifold,chrome vent knobs,chrome/carbon fibre shift knob
Old 17 Feb 2010, 01:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have a few patches of stop and go traffic so I guess I could deal with that on a stick. What's most irritating is when people keep cutting in in front of you when you're not glued to the guys bumper ahead of you. That takes a lot of work with a clutch. I guess you just have to take the semi approach and let the cars ahead move on and just keep the car in 1st and avoid shifting.
I've had three cars with sticks, two of them being Dodge GLH turbos. I used to love embarrasing Mustangs and Camaros with those cars. Now that I'm older and wiser I'm looking for long term reliability. It's starting to seem the manual is the way to go.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 08:20 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT

Older post, I know...
I love my 5-speed. And I love that so many people comment they didn't know the PTs had a stick available, including PT owners! :P
Old 29 Mar 2010, 07:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have an 01 with the 5 spd.--177,000 km ( 110,000 miles ) and everything still works fine.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 10:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2003 GT 5 speed and have never had any problems with it...77k miles...it is a blast to drive with the 5 speed.