PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I'm not selling, I'm purchasing from a Dealer anything I should look out for?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2010, 12:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default I'm not selling, I'm purchasing from a Dealer anything I should look out for?

Hi!
I'm new and am considering getting a 2006 PT Cruiser but the dealership is offering it without a warranty, that scares me. I have not found out if I can purchase an extended warranty nor do I know whether its under its original warranty (would it still be under its original warranty). I took a test drive of it and it seemed to drive good no squeaks or hums or anything that I could tell. There was a bit of a pull to the left but the sales guy said they'd take care of that. They've replaced the tires... looked at the paperwork in the glove compartment for them and printed on it was 2007? It has 48thousand miles on the car, I think, 44 or 48.

I was wondering if there is anything else I should be concerned about if you'd purchase this car, just some insight.

Thanks
Shais
Old 19 Feb 2010, 01:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I'm not selling, I'm purchasing from a Dealer anything I should look out for?

Welcome to the Forum Shais.
If it is a 2006 it only had a 3year/36month warranty from the factory. If you do buy an extended warranty, make sure it is a Genuine Chrysler Warranty not some aftermarket one where you have to pay and then collect from the aftermarket place. They are hard to work with!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 19 Feb 2010, 10:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: I'm not selling, I'm purchasing from a Dealer anything I should look out for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shais View Post
Hi!
I'm new and am considering getting a 2006 PT Cruiser but the dealership is offering it without a warranty, that scares me. I have not found out if I can purchase an extended warranty nor do I know whether its under its original warranty (would it still be under its original warranty). I took a test drive of it and it seemed to drive good no squeaks or hums or anything that I could tell. There was a bit of a pull to the left but the sales guy said they'd take care of that. They've replaced the tires... looked at the paperwork in the glove compartment for them and printed on it was 2007? It has 48thousand miles on the car, I think, 44 or 48.

I was wondering if there is anything else I should be concerned about if you'd purchase this car, just some insight.

Thanks
Shais

Get a new carfax so you can see if it's been in an accident and if it's been serviced. I took an extended service plan from a company called Diamond for two years, they are nation wide. Pet Boys is one of the places you can bring your car. They have three plans I have the middle one it covers Drive train and almost everything else except sensors. Almost all the used car dealers in my area offer it, as far as how good it is I hope I never have to find out. I did know a guy who had it and needed an engine in his Acura and they replaced it, I think they did hem and whore a little but he got a new engine.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 09:24 am
Senior Cruiser

If it pulls to the left, tell them to fix it and show you the shop order, showing the alignment specs. Don t buy it, let them fix that first.

The re-test drive and make sure it doesnt pull. You might also bring it to another shop and have them check the car over to give you an indication that it is OK.

If this is a chrysler dealer, tell them to have the Service manager pull the history on the computer, they can do this by entering the VIN # into the system and give you a print out of any warranty and other service done at any Chrysler dealer.

Per extended warranties, only mopar offerings are worth it, 3rd party usually equals big hastle or bankrupt warrranty company and your stuck.

If you search around, their are some mopar online dealers who may be able to offer you a mopar warranty of some kind and you might be able to negotiate with the dealer your buying it from(I assume a Chrysler dealer??) with a quote from one of the online dealers.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 10:55 am
Cool Cruiser

Welcome to the forums and the Cruiser world!

If you are satisfied with the test drive and are giving the car serious consideration, I would suggest you do one of two things if not both.

1. Take it to a mechanic you trust for a pre purchase inspection. They will check things that a test drive won't uncover. The first PT I had drove great when we test drove it and the only thing we could uncover was the radio not working. When we took it in for an inspection, there was a broken motor mount and the water pump had a leak.

We negotiated the price of the car down a bit and got the lot to split the cost of repairs. We simply added our portion of the repairs to the price of the car and made a bigger down payment to cover it. We made them give us the repair order in writing and insisted the work be done before we took delivery.

2. Buy an extended warranty. We just bought another PT this week (the first one was totaled a month ago) and got one through our bank. It's through Mercury Insurance. We don't have to pay up front with this company. All we have to do is go to a licensed shop and they call in and get paid.

I was able to get a 5 year 100K warranty for about $2,000. It only increased my car payment by about $20 a month. I figured that's better than using my credit card to cover a big repair should one be needed as the monthly credit card bill would go up more than that if I needed a substantial repair.

If you haven't already, be sure to check New Cars, Used Cars, Blue Book Values & Car Prices - Kelley Blue Book for value of the vehicle. Use the 16 question condition quiz to rate the car. This will give you an objective view of the car.

Knowing the mechanical info from the inspection plus KBB value will give you what you need to negotiate your best possible deal. I'd wait to negotiate price until you've had the car looked at and have an idea of any possible repairs it might need.

Good luck!
Old 20 Feb 2010, 05:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My boyfriend bought my 2006 Cruiser last week, no warranty from the dealer, just drove it, liked it, bought it. We ended up taking it to a mechanic (post-purchase - I do not recommend that) and other than a timing belt replacement coming up around the 120K mark (are they REALLY about $500.00 to replace????) we're good to go. Of course ours has about double the miles as the one you're looking at, but for the price, it was an easy decision.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 06:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

WWW, welcome to the Forum. Yes, you are right, post purchase isn't the best way to go. BTW: timing belt should be changed at or around the 100,000 miles vs 130K. When doing the timing belt the water pump also should be changed, normally the parts are $500 and about $400 for the labor. If you can get it done for $500 for everything, you are doing good.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 20 Feb 2010, 07:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
WWW, welcome to the Forum. Yes, you are right, post purchase isn't the best way to go. BTW: timing belt should be changed at or around the 100,000 miles vs 130K. When doing the timing belt the water pump also should be changed, normally the parts are $500 and about $400 for the labor. If you can get it done for $500 for everything, you are doing good.
And while they're in there, have them check the harmonic balancer. If it shows any signs of wear, go ahead and do that too. Same parts come off to replace that as the water pump and timing belt.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 07:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_F View Post
And while they're in there, have them check the harmonic balancer. If it shows any signs of wear, go ahead and do that too. Same parts come off to replace that as the water pump and timing belt.
Thank you so much for the information...(note to self, dump the car before 100k)

Naw, just kidding, it'll probably be a year or two before I have to panic about that necessary bill....hopefully it'll just run smoothly until then. So far, so good!
Old 20 Feb 2010, 09:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WldWcnWmn View Post
Thank you so much for the information...(note to self, dump the car before 100k)

Naw, just kidding, it'll probably be a year or two before I have to panic about that necessary bill....hopefully it'll just run smoothly until then. So far, so good!
You might want to get an extended warranty that covers the timing belt and the water pump if your close to the 100,000 mark