PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Front crank seal oil leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2010, 04:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Front crank seal oil leak

So, what is the fix for repeated front crank seal leaks. Just replaced mine yesterday, drove it 15 mi., and guess what.... puking oil on the driveway again.
Purchased a '06 Touring Edition with 32,000 mi on it last July from a Chrysler dealer. 3 mos, 3000 mi. warranty. Any ideas or suggestions?? This is the newest car I have ever owned. Starting to wish I had my '79 Dodge van back....
Old 21 Feb 2010, 06:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Front crank seal oil leak

Cant you put some red loctite on the shell before you tap em in?

also recall someone on another forum has a similiar problem. He noticed a threaded hole near the seal, he made a metal tab and bolted it into the hole and had it push/hold the edge of the seal in place so it would not back out.

I know the cam seals on these love to work their way out. My friend is tech and he did my timing belt, water pump, tensioner and seals, he told me he uses the loctite so they wont back out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt4Me View Post
So, what is the fix for repeated front crank seal leaks. Just replaced mine yesterday, drove it 15 mi., and guess what.... puking oil on the driveway again.
Purchased a '06 Touring Edition with 32,000 mi on it last July from a Chrysler dealer. 3 mos, 3000 mi. warranty. Any ideas or suggestions?? This is the newest car I have ever owned. Starting to wish I had my '79 Dodge van back....
Old 21 Feb 2010, 07:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ha/Ha... I dont want a "band aid" fix. That seal shouldnt need loc-tite to hold it in. Ive been a tech for over 20 yrs. and have never seen a motor do this unless there was a oil pressure problem. I doubt that is the case. The seal shouldnt have THAT much pressure behind it. I think it has to do with the excessive amount of end-play in the crank/thrust bearing, AND I'd bet Chrysler knows about it....
Old 22 Feb 2010, 07:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

It is a known problem. The thrust bearing surface is wiped out. That causes excess endplay and the seal pokes out. Take it to a dealer you trust and see if it still has powertrain warranty. If not then you're gonna need atleast a short block. I am a former Chrysler tech and have seen several of these.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, great news!! Had my car towed to dealer, (didnt tell them I am a professional tech) to have them check it out. Handed the svc. manager the printouts about the problem I found on this great forum, and a couple others.
Got a call today.... "Sir we have indeed found the end play to be the cause of the problem. (Yeah... I already knew that...)lol We have found that due to the excessive endplay we determined that the short block needs to be replaced.
We have one waiting at the parts depot, new, not rebuilt. Final cost to you....
$250.00." I couldnt get the words out of my mouth quick enough.... "DO IT!!!" "Well ok sir, I will have your vehicle ready for pickup on Friday, or if not, the following Tuesday." I said "take your time, I want it done right!"
I am extremely impressed by the way Chrysler, and my dealer is standing behind this. I couldnt have asked for more! If anyone on here is in the St.Louis area, I suggest Marty Cancila Chrysler/Jeep. They have been awesome for me.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 06:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Fantastic!
That is a home run!
Some dealers charge more than $250 for the "decarbonizing" where they throw chemicals in the gas tank!
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Feb 2010, 07:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

pt4me, I sure hope that you feel better about Chrysler and the PT.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 23 Feb 2010, 07:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am extatic about it! After this is all said and done, Im going to be sure to write to Chrysler, and the dealer thanking them for standing behind the engine, and telling the owner of the dealership what a great job the svc. writer, and svc. manager did. Bought my Pt there, when the time is right, I will trade in my '03 Durango there as well for another Chrysler product. At this rate they will have a customer for life.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 10:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt4Me View Post
Quick question, was this on a Turbo engine or the NA 2.4??
Old 25 Nov 2012, 02:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

I was inquiring to see if you were out of warranty when Chrysler fixed your PT problem for you by installing a new short block.

I have a similar problem. I just replaced my seal. The mechanic told me the seal wouldn't last at there was significant end-play in the engine.

Unfortunately, my warranty just expired about 2 months ago. I was wondering if I have a chance of opening a case up with Chrysler to see if they will pay for the new engine.

Tags
crankshaft, front, leak, oil, seal