Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dream series 1 hesitates in low gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2010, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dream series 1 hesitates in low gear

I have a 2002 Dream Cruiser, the Incan Gold, 2.4L automatic. It has 121,000 miles. Just for some background, over the Christmas holiday, the timing belt failed (it hadn't been changed like I was told it was). The belt itself didn't break but it apparently gradually lost teeth and when we took it out, there were 21 teeth gone. Compression was still bad, so we took it in and had the valves repaired. Seemed to run fine, and still generally does, but I have noticed in first gear coming from a stop, it sometimes doesn't want to go when I step on the gas. It takes it a few seconds to get going. It's never done that before. I didn't notice it until I'd had it for a month or so after the repair. It's not a big deal, still perfectly drivable, but I obviously don't want to let it go until it becomes a big problem. What could be the deal?
Old 21 Feb 2010, 08:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dream series 1 hesitates in low gear

Has the tranny been serviced? If not it should be flushed by using a machine, not just changing the fluid ATF +4. That may solve your problem, the problem you have is not cause by the engine.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 Feb 2010, 06:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Completely agree w/Hooligan. Find a place with a flushing machine and be sure they use only ATF + 4.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Feb 2010, 01:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the advice, guys. My only worry is with the mileage on it, a lot of shops won't even do a transmission flush I'm sure. It seems just like people disagree a lot on whether or not those are worthwhile, again, especially in high mileage vehicles such as this that I don't know the maintenance history of beyond oil changes (I'll have to assume it's been spotty at best-- I've had it only for the last 15,000 or so miles). Lots of people say that you should either have it flushed regularly, and if it hasn't been taken care of regularly early on, don't touch it. And messing with the transmission scares me. How confident are you guys that this will correct the problem? Thanks.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 04:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

All I can say is, if it were me, I'd have it flushed. I don't follow why new fluid would make things worse.