Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Problems with a fast idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2010, 09:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Problems with a fast idle

Hi I just changed my valve cover gasket and now my idle is off. It "hangs" at about 2500rpm and it takes a bit to come down to 1000rpm. Thats were is idles at. My car is a 2003 GT 5-speed. I have pulled the intake off and on about 3 times and checked and rechecked everything. The only thing i can think of is the Idle air control valve. I have taken it apart and cleaned it out. the thing was loaded with carbon. The idle speed has gone down but it still is not at the normal setting. Anyone have ideas?
Old 22 Feb 2010, 06:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Problems with a fast idle

Two things. Under the IAC there's a TP (Throttle Position) sensor. Check to make sure that the electrical connection is tight. Second: on the picture of my engine (non turbo) you should also have the two cables that run across the engine. One is for the cruise control and one is the throttle cable. Make sure the cables are free to rotate and go all the way back to the resting position.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 07:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

And check all vacuum lines!
Also check the PCV valve - cheap enough to replace it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Feb 2010, 04:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies guys. Quicksilver, I check and re-checked and re-re-checked the vac lines. Crewzin, I learned about the IAC from some of your past posts. So I took it out and cleaned her up. Now the car is "drivable". The idle settles at about 1000rpm. As I come to a stop it is real slow to drop RPM's. So I ordered up a new one. I also ordered a new PCV valve from the dealer. Is it just my location or do they not sell them at the auto parts store? I had to go to the dealer. So now I wait for it to come in the mail. This is my fist time on this board so thanks a bunch for the help full info!
Old 22 Feb 2010, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do you have defrost on? That turns on the A/C and with A/C on idle is higher...
Old 22 Feb 2010, 05:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

QSD is right on the money. The idle will raise with any condition that the compressor comes on (defrost/normal A/C). Normal idle is about 750rpm's and up to 900-1000 with the compressor on.

Your better off with and component from the dealer. Many owners have gone for aftermarket sensors and have them not work or fail shortly after fitting.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 08:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No the A/C is off and so is the defrost. I ordered the IAC already so I guess I'll have to see how that works out. Hopefully the new part will fix the problem. Fingers crossed.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 05:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just want to follow up (hopefully it will help someone later). Installed the IAC and that fixed the problem! Thanks for the help guys!
Old 25 Feb 2010, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it fixed.

Old 25 Feb 2010, 06:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for posting the cure - that really helps others.