Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Drivers seat head/leg room; power seat vs. manual seat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2010, 04:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Drivers seat head/leg room; power seat vs. manual seat

So my journey to buy a PT continues. I sat in, for the first time, a '10 cruiser with power seats. I was sort of discouraged. I'm 6'5" and I had to recline the seat quite a bit and leg room was barely adequate. Today I sat in a '07 with a manual drivers seat. The head room was significantly better, by a couple inches, and the leg room seemed marginally better. I could be happy with the fit of the '07 manual seat car, similar to one I may make an offer on this week.
Is this typical to have less over all room on the automatic seat? If it is and I don't get the car I'm looking at now, I need know if I should just avoid all cars with power seats.

Also, does a factory moon roof effect headroom in the drivers seat?

Thanks.

Last edited by pstar; 22 Feb 2010 at 05:55 pm.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 11:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Drivers seat head/leg room; power seat vs. manual seat

You are correct in your observations.
I own two 2006 PTs.
A na Touring; and a GT vert with power seats.
There is a big difference in head room - that maybe reflects in your sitting postion - to make you feel like the leg room is less.
Now, I'm only 5' 9 1/2" - so it's no biggie for me.
There are posts here, and on the PTCrew forum where guys are lowering their power driver's seat. Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing that.
For the performance side, I would recommend a turbo, without power seats.
(not sure about the moon roof being much different)

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 22 Feb 2010, 11:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Drivers seat head/leg room; power seat vs. manual seat

My wife has a 2007 PT with power seat and a sunroof and my head is in the roof, I am 6'2". I had a 2005 convertible without the power seat and it was wonderful, the seat was a little lower in the back part of the seat. I would look at non-power seats too and see if you notice any difference.

This PT Convertible use to be my BABY it was a 2005 Base 5 speed, Black on black on black, Red rims with full moons hubcaps, Amber fog lights, 6 disc indash CD, Polk speakers, Suicide knob, Black 15" spring ant., Gauges in console, APC air filter system, Complete bullet/turbo exhaust system, Hurst Shifter. May its new owner enjoy it as much as we did. We do still have a 2007 Limiter PT in Cool Vanilla with no mods and two HHRs now.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 07:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I haven't done comparisons, but both my PTs had power seats & sunroofs, and my head would touch the roof, and I'm 6'.
The stupid thing is the power seats go up, but not down far enough -
numerous complaints, and not real easy to fix.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Jul 2010, 11:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes deffinitely, the moonroof does drop the roof headliner down around 2-3" from the standard car. We had an 01' with moonroof and I am 6' 1" and my head would bump the headliner. This room is to allow the roof panel to retract into/under the roof outer panel. Our new non-moonroof 2010 model has almost 4" between my head and the headliner! I like the idea and function of sunroofs but every vehicle that I have owned with one has reduced interior headroom. You also open your self up to rattles, water and air leaks as time goes on.
Old 14 Jul 2010, 09:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstar View Post
I sat in, for the first time, a '10 cruiser with power seats.
That's why you buy a convertible even with the top up there is lots of headroom.

Terry

2005 PT Cruiser Convertible - Touring Edition - Black
Mopar Spoiler, Mopar Ground Effects Kit, 16x7 American Eagle Chrome 5 Spoke Wheels, Toyo Proxes 4 225/50/R16 High Performance Tires
Autotechnica Chrome Shifter & Autotechnica Chrome Shifter Kit, Sony Headunit
Old 16 Oct 2010, 05:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We just bought a used 2009 Touring yesterday. When we test drove the car, I noticed that the power seat control panel had broken away from the seat. Dealer "fixed" it, and it broke again by the time it got home. Is this a common problem or did we just get one that was broken and once it is replaced w/ a new unit no more problem? I am a big guy (275#, 6'2"), and am seriously giving thought to switching out the power seat for a manual unit if this is going to break all the time. The control unit looks so simple to change out that a 4 year old could do it. This is my wife's car so whenever I drive the car the seat will need to be adjusted.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 06:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

I don't know what newer Cruiser's have in the way of power seats. My '01 has power up/down driver seat only. I'm 6'1" tall and with the seat all the way down, I have no problems with my head hitting the headliner, and I have a moon roof. Maybe my body trunk is shorter or I have the seat reclined but mine is very comfortable to drive.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 17 Oct 2010, 09:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

The used 09 touring we bought a couple of months back has a power seat. Kind of an afterthought on Chrysler's part. Goes back and forth and up or down but still have to manually recline. Our 02 had a power seat but only for up or down and it was always down. We have been spoiled by the power seats in our old Town and Country that have multiple adjustments and memory control for 2 drivers. I think Chrysler thought they could attract more buyers with a power seat option but the seat is a poor excuse for an option.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 11:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Neon View Post
We just bought a used 2009 Touring yesterday. When we test drove the car, I noticed that the power seat control panel had broken away from the seat. Dealer "fixed" it, and it broke again by the time it got home. Is this a common problem or did we just get one that was broken and once it is replaced w/ a new unit no more problem? I am a big guy (275#, 6'2"), and am seriously giving thought to switching out the power seat for a manual unit if this is going to break all the time. The control unit looks so simple to change out that a 4 year old could do it. This is my wife's car so whenever I drive the car the seat will need to be adjusted.
Welcome to the fourms.
The controls breaking is NOT a common problem. I've been on PT forums since 2001, and that is not an issue, Height of the seat has always been.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles