Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Can I temporarily disable the alarm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Feb 2010, 10:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Can I temporarily disable the alarm?

We just picked up the new used PT last night. It's an '06 Limited. Pictures will be posted soon as promised, but not until I've detailed it. It's not up to my standards for display at this point

Anyway, as some of you recall from a previous post, the car didn't come with any remotes, only keys. So, now when I get out and lock the door, the alarm sets. When I get in, it goes off until I put the key in the ignition. Since I live in an apartment complex, this can be a problem as they don't like it when your car alarm goes off excessively.

I do plan to get some remotes for it as soon as possible, but until I do is there a way to safely deactivate the alarm so I don't get in trouble with the apt manager?
Old 24 Feb 2010, 11:03 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Can I temporarily disable the alarm?

As long as you don't arm it (remote required) you shouldn't have a problem. Check eBay for the remotes, programing is simple.

If you bought from a dealer, should have included at least one remote in the deal. Go ask the salesperson, bet he's got them in his drawer - don't pay what the wants ($75), ask him to give you the one that came with the car.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 12:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

This one arms as soon as the door is locked and shut on its own.

We got the car from a used lot and it was a bank repo, so they didn't have a remote for it.

I have found some after market remotes on Ebay, I just haven't had a chance to call Chrysler and see if they will program a remote that wasn't purchased from them. Hopefully they will as the cost of the after market fob is way less than the key & fob combo through Chrysler.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 09:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Find the fuse for the alarm and pull it.
The dealer ought to program remotes without selling them to you.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Feb 2010, 10:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Check with a local locksmith to see IF they can program it for you.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 25 Feb 2010, 11:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Find the fuse for the alarm and pull it.
The dealer ought to program remotes without selling them to you.
I thought of the fuse option but I wasn't sure if there was a better way or not. The local dealer will program remotes not purchased through them but won't guarantee they'll work and I have to pay for the programming even if not.
Old 25 Feb 2010, 12:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

I found this remote in ebay! See if this will help!

CHRYSLER PT CRUISER FOB REMOTE 56040652AD 2006 2007 : eBay Motors (item 150416752326 end time Feb-28-10 14:58:40 PST)
Old 25 Feb 2010, 03:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the find. Since I would have to rekey, I think I'd be better off just buying a key.

On the plus side, for anyone following this and looking for a solution, I found one that doesn't require the fuse to be pulled.

The alarm arms when the button on the remote or the power lock button is used to lock the door. Manually locking the door won't arm the system. So, what I'm doing for now is locking all the doors by hand when I get out instead of using the power lock button.

That works just fine. It only takes a couple seconds to make the rounds and it's a hair inconvenient but it gets the job done for now until we can get a remote.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 04:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ive read on a forum that u can temporarily disable the alarm system in a PT. Turn ignition key to run but don't start car, then theres a box under dashboard drivers side, while key in ignition hit the red or black switch on black box. I looked under my dash in my 2003 PT and theres no black box, a white one. I don't know if its for the alarm system. Iam hesitant to touch it.
Old 23 Sep 2014, 06:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_F View Post
This one arms as soon as the door is locked and shut on its own.

We got the car from a used lot and it was a bank repo, so they didn't have a remote for it.

I have found some after market remotes on Ebay, I just haven't had a chance to call Chrysler and see if they will program a remote that wasn't purchased from them. Hopefully they will as the cost of the after market fob is way less than the key & fob combo through Chrysler.
Original Chrysler 01 05 PT Cruiser Remote Keyless Fob Phob 04671641 | eBay