PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Noob, kindof

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2010, 03:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Noob, kindof

Hey all,

I've been lurking around for awhile and have been falling more and more in love with the Pts. I just sold my volvo, and used to be a huge volvo forum wizz and knew them bumper to bumper but it's been too expensive to maintain so I had to let it go. I was then looking for a cheaper alternative that won't kill me in repairs or maintenance and instantly thought of these.

Since I'm without a car I need to make a fast purchase on one of these babes but don't exactly have the time to research through these VERY helpful threads.

I'm aiming for an 06-09 automatic, is there anything I need to look out for? As I said I'm not familiar with these, however an example on a volvo would be the timing belt that needs to be done after 90k. I'd really appreciate any insight.

I also have to say, coming from a few volvo forums this place is much more helpful and friendlier than others I have experienced - I cannot wait to post a thread of the new purchase!!

Thank you for your time,

Jason Green
Old 27 Feb 2010, 05:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Noob, kindof

Jason,

Welcome to the forum. Like the Volvo, the PT also needs the timing belt replaced at around 100K. We also recommend the water pump, tensioner, and drive belts done at the same time. Because of the placement of the belt and water pump, it takes anywhere from 5-7 hours of labor to change everything and with parts and labor combined your looking at a charge of around $1000 depending on who and where does the job. So keep that in mind when looking at a used PT, the lower the mileage the more time before that job needs to be done.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 09:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks to Chrysler ruining the resale value of their cars you can really get a very nice PT for a good price. I had always liked PT's but not Chrysler lately, so when I was looking for a car I was checking for Honda's and Toyota's but they were thousand more than the PT with more miles on them. Plus when I saw my PT it was love at first sight and combine that with thousands cheaper and both my head and heart were on the same page.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 09:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

Heh I love my PT Cruiser and I never expected to get one! I was gunning for getting a Mazda RX-8 but then through persuasion from an ex girlfriend I chose to get a PT for college purposes. However now with how many mods I have im almost afraid to drive it lol

My PT is a 2007 btw!
Old 28 Feb 2010, 01:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I had 2 Volvos - a '69 sedan and a wagon - the wagon got lots miles, so I looked at replacing it and got sticker shock, plus it was essentially identical to my old one!

You should also plan on haveing the trnny flushed by machine every 50,000 miles and ONLY ATF + 4.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles