PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Guy Needs Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Feb 2010, 06:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New Guy Needs Help

Hi everyone hope you can help out a new PT Cruiser owner

My wife has a 2008 and the rear lift gate motor stopped working, does anybody know which fuse runs this motor? Any other words of wisdom would help greatly.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 28 Feb 2010, 06:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New Guy Needs Help

Welcome to the forum. Aren't you still under warranty? Even the basic 3/36 should cover your problem.

If not, I guess your referring to the rear liftgate power wiper motor, as the liftgate doesn't open by itself with the help of any kind of motor. The wiper motor isn't listed separately in the 06-09 fuse spread sheet so it's probably tied into other electrical items. If nothing else stopped working, it's a very small possibility that the motor itself is burnt out.

One way that could happen, if the rubber wiper blade was frozen to the rear window while someone (wife ?) had the wiper motor on. You didn't fill out your profile so I don't know if your in an area that could happen.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 28 Feb 2010 at 07:02 pm.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 07:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The liftgate does open with the help of a motor when you pull the switch under the chrysler logo that actavates the motor that opens the latch for the liftgate.

Keep the ideas coming guys!!!

also where do you guys order parts such as liftgate motors from?
Old 28 Feb 2010, 07:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Unless something has really changed, they are NOT motors that lift the tailgate. They are struts, and you can pick them up at any decent auto store.

Can someone else please confirm this?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 07:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

this motor only operates the latch. when you lock/unlock the doors with the key it operates this motor and the motor operates as stated above. pull off a couple interior panels and take a look
Old 28 Feb 2010, 07:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It's just the way your saying it that makes it confusing. I still don't think it's a motor but an "electronic switch".

Looking up parts for the liftgate, here is the list: Actuator, Handle outside, Hinge, Latch, Lever, Link rod, Lock controller, Lock cylinder, Striker, Support cylinder, Switch

Old 28 Feb 2010, 07:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well have you heard of anyone replacing this?

thanks for the help.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 07:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

2 star bit screws and 2 electrical connections are what would need to be undone to remove what I am calling the "motor"
if that helps.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 07:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mine is completely different as they changed the emblem/switch/actuator in the later models. I have had mine completely uncovered because I took out the rear wiper motor and replaced it with a handle. My parts catalog only covers the 2001-2003 models so that won't help either.

There have been owners with problems opening up the liftgate and they might have changed the whole thing but have not come back to the forum to tell us. When it does go bad, we usually refer them back to the dealer for diagnostics to find out what went wrong.

Old 28 Feb 2010, 07:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I can't find any info on this "new style". I checked all underhood fuses before posting and they are good. I can't even find a place to order the "motor" that is not a dealer.

Well thank you very much for your help...when fixed I will do a little write up of what I did.