PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help Need HOnest opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Mar 2010, 07:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help Need HOnest opinions

Hello!

Im contemplating purchasing a 2007 cruiser and I know nothing about them. I have read through some of the posts here and appreciate the information but dont have time to read through every one!

Ive had 2 Chryslers before and didnt like them but that was before the net and all the research that can be done.

I dont do a lot of driving so I wont be racking up miles but was curious to know why I see sooo many PT Cruisers for sale in dealership and why they are so inexpensive???? It seems like you can get a great deal on them but WHY are they so inexpensive??

Need honest input on these cars. Would you purchase one again.

Thanks all!
Old 01 Mar 2010, 09:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Help Need HOnest opinions

Welcome to the forums.
I already have purchased another one.
I'll tell you the biggest complaint - gas mileage - some people seem to expect 30MPG because the PT is small on the outside - but that won't happen - low 20s is what you'll get.
From looking for a car for my son, seems all domestic cars have low resale value.
I had a Neon, if you want mileage, that's a better bet - also cheap - the PT is MUCH more comfortable, and has lots more room.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Mar 2010, 10:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Chrysler has a bad rap right now, so you can steal a PT on the cheap. The PT is fun, and nice comfortable reliable transportation if you take care of her. I wouldn't touch a Sebring they have serious issues. Also the PT has a huge following as you can see by this and other forums. Plus the PT can make you smile when you see it.
Old 01 Mar 2010, 10:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW

One of my best friends has had a PT since the first year and has always loved it. This is one of the main reasons that when I needed another vehicle I sought out a low mileage PT. I did look for a 2005 or the old body style because of the turbo. It seems that the non turbos may be a little under powered. Again, my opinion. There is alot of room on the inside and the ole lady finds it very easy to get in and out of. I guess it all goes on your individual taste but I think that all being said and done I made the right choice. Good luck.
Old 02 Mar 2010, 07:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Our 2008 is our third one, we have had a used 2002, a new 2006 and now the 2008. Do we like them "YES", I have had 8 back surgeries and this is the most comfortable car I have EVER driven.
When our grand daughter needed a different car we found a 2001 for her that had 78K miles and had all of the needed 100K mile work done. She is in college and loves it.
We have no idea what to get to replace this one it 5 - 10 years.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 02 Mar 2010, 08:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Wow, thanks for the replies.

My biggest need is for a car I feel safe in. Im used to a big car or even a truck and safety is a big concern. Also, never had a 4cylinder before and was wondering about durability of the cruisers.

Thanks for your input so far!
Old 02 Mar 2010, 08:53 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecyleecy View Post
Wow, thanks for the replies.

My biggest need is for a car I feel safe in. Im used to a big car or even a truck and safety is a big concern. Also, never had a 4cylinder before and was wondering about durability of the cruisers.

Thanks for your input so far!
The PT has no serious engine design faults, it's an old design engine but a good one. If you take care of it and don't beat it she will run for a long time. It isn't a v8 or a full sized SUV or pickup so if that's what your used to than you might be disappointed. It does have removable back seats so you can carry a decent amount of stuff when needed.
Old 02 Mar 2010, 08:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
The PT has no serious engine design faults, it's an old design engine but a good one. If you take care of it and don't beat it she will run for a long time. It isn't a v8 or a full sized SUV or pickup so if that's what your used to than you might be disappointed. It does have removable back seats so you can carry a decent amount of stuff when needed.
Old? 1990s is old? Chevy V-8 goes to 1955 - THAT's old.

Close a door on a PT and listen to it "thunk". One of the reasons mileage isn't great is because the PT is heavy - SOLID.
Old 02 Mar 2010, 05:25 pm
Cool Cruiser

We are on our second PT. Our '04 was backed into by an 18 wheeler and that pretty much ended its life. We'd only had it for about six months when that happened a few weeks back.

We replaced it with an '06 Limited and we love it too.

One of the reasons for the lower prices on the PT is that you will see a lot of newer models with higher mileage. This is often a sign that the car was either a fleet vehicle or a rental. We saw a lot of those when we were out shopping.

I also am inclined to agree that because they aren't as fuel efficient as other cars in their class they have a lower resale value.

They are a lot of fun and if you want to play around with one there are tons of after market parts and accessories you can get.
Old 02 Mar 2010, 11:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cool Re: Help Need HOnest opinions

Gas mileage is the #1 complaint.
I have two (2) 2006 Cruisers.
The non-turbo Touring (with the AirRaid intake system, and standard tranny) gets around 30 mpg highway.
The Turbo GT vert (auto tranny) only gets around 25 mpg.
So, you give up mpg with an auto tranny; and more yet with a turbo.
But, I really do like the trurbo vert!

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!