PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Is anybody using Royal Purple transmission fluid?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Mar 2010, 09:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Is anybody using Royal Purple transmission fluid?

Is anybody using Royal Purple transmission fluid? The web site says you can use it for Chrysler's but it's not on the official improved list of transmission fluid although the list I saw was almost two years old. It's suppose to be top of the line stuff like their oil. Just curoius because the PT I bought has almost 55,000 miles and I want to service the transmission.

I just may bring it to the dealer and have them flush the transmission, I just don't want to get hosed by the dealer. And not having ever owned a new Chrysler I have no experience with any dealer in my area and no one I have asked local has seemed very happy with their dealer in general.

Royal Purple Transmission Fluid
Old 05 Mar 2010, 07:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Is anybody using Royal Purple transmission fluid?

Check Pep-Boys, I had my sons Saturn and my Wifes van transmission serviced there for around $150 each. Will take the PT there soon. I know there is a recommended ATF; I'm sure someone will chime in about Royal Purple - I'll be interested as well.

I use Mobile1 oil (5W-30) in my PT and Miata.
Old 05 Mar 2010, 11:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by garner49 View Post
Check Pep-Boys, I had my sons Saturn and my Wifes van transmission serviced there for around $150 each. Will take the PT there soon. I know there is a recommended ATF; I'm sure someone will chime in about Royal Purple - I'll be interested as well.

I use Mobile1 oil (5W-30) in my PT and Miata.

Chrysler uses ATF+4 but you can't just use the name because of Chrysler so Royal Purple and others say MAX ATF and say it can be used for Chrysler. I wonder if Pep-Boys does the flush or just a drain and fill up? And I wonder if they use a ATF+4 or a MAX ATF
Old 05 Mar 2010, 12:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I use Amsoil and have no problem at all. I know lots of guys that run Royal Purple... not in a PT Cruiser, but I can't see why it won't work well.

https://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=ATFQT-EA
Old 05 Mar 2010, 12:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW

Never used Royal Purple in the Cruiser but I have used it in my Fords. Still can't say for sure if it has any noticeable benefits.
Old 05 Mar 2010, 01:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks guys

I stopped by my local Chrysler dealer and was even more surprised by the price than I thought I would be. They wanted 369 clams to flush the transmission, I asked the service guy if he was taking me out to dinner first but don't think he got it. So I called Pet-Boy and they are a lot more reasonable 169 clams but they don't use an official ATF+4 but swear the quality is as good.

So I'm starting to think that the good aftermarket ATF is equal the Chrysler ATF+4 but they aren't authorized to stamp ATF+4 on the bottle.

I may just drop the pan change the filter and fluid and not flush the transmission. I saw the Royal Purple on Amazon with free shipping for a decent price. Well it's still expensive but it's not something you do to often.

I'm undecided at this point between pet boys with the flush or just doing it myself without the flush.
Old 05 Mar 2010, 03:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Flushing removes most of the old fluid form the tranny. A simple pan drain leaves something like 2/3 of the old fluid, don't know the exact amount but that's close. Just draining the pan seems like turning your old underwear inside out and putting them back on and claiming you changed them.
It's expensive but I've always flushed my cars.
Old 05 Mar 2010, 04:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

the flush is good as long as after they flush it they change the filter and some do not do this step kind of like rechewing old gum if ya dont change the screen
Old 05 Mar 2010, 06:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Make sure they use an approved ATF+4, not some Dexron crap with some additive. That is the #1 killer of these transmissions.

Chrysler, Plymouth, and Dodge four-speed automatic transmission repairs

IMHO use the Mopar ATF+4 and bring it to Pep Boys and watch them pour it in or if you want something better order some Amsoil Universal ATF, that will work fine in the mopar transmissions. I use in my Durango and Jeep.

Myself I would wait until it warms up and do a pan drop, change the filter and then disconnet one of the lines to the trans and do a cooler line flush.
You will know you have done it correctly with the correct fluid and the $$$ you save will buy some Sam Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Thanks guys

I stopped by my local Chrysler dealer and was even more surprised by the price than I thought I would be. They wanted 369 clams to flush the transmission, I asked the service guy if he was taking me out to dinner first but don't think he got it. So I called Pet-Boy and they are a lot more reasonable 169 clams but they don't use an official ATF+4 but swear the quality is as good.

So I'm starting to think that the good aftermarket ATF is equal the Chrysler ATF+4 but they aren't authorized to stamp ATF+4 on the bottle.

I may just drop the pan change the filter and fluid and not flush the transmission. I saw the Royal Purple on Amazon with free shipping for a decent price. Well it's still expensive but it's not something you do to often.

I'm undecided at this point between pet boys with the flush or just doing it myself without the flush.
Old 05 Mar 2010, 07:22 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have had several issues with workmanship at Pep Boys so I would check with others in your area that use them. I am sure there are good and bad out there so I would not throw them all under the bus but I would use caution -Trust ............but verify!