Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Crack In Body Paint??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Mar 2010, 09:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Crack In Body Paint??

I have this crack and need help how I can fix it, without paying a shop. The video shows everything and explains it:

Thank you for any help you can give.
Old 06 Mar 2010, 10:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Crack In Body Paint??

Me, I'd put a fake bullet hole sticker on top of it.

But I'm sure Candyman will come along and give you some expert advise on how to patch up your cruiser without spending a fortune. Just remember a professional will have the right tools and the expertize to finish the job without leaving any sign that the crack was ever there. It might be worth spending the extra $$$$ to do it right.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Mar 2010, 01:56 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Unhappy Re: Crack In Body Paint??

Hey their tcr1016,

First off, welcome to the Forum!

Man, this kind of thing really irks me every time!!! to be honest, whoever did the repair work for you really did a crap job on your ride, and their is no excuse for it!!!

I am about 99.9% sure the reason your paint is cracking is just as you mentioned it, their is a large chunk of Body Filler plastered into your right rear quarter panel which was done very, very poorly, and it has slipped from its original position on the Body most likely from day to day normal driving. My guess, you hit a bump just right and it became dislodged.

Normally this is where I would say that someone had done an aftermarket paint job, or even on rare occasions I have seen the Manufacturer as well have various problems related to the Primer not being full sanded, or something that might have contributed to the paint flaking, or cracking, and that you to should try to locate a Mobile Air Brush Service which most all Car Dealerships use to computer match your paint, and clean up any and all scratches and minor defects on your ride for around $150.00 - $200.00 for the entire car HOWEVER, in your case, I seriously hate to say that this won't help you much as even if you were to have the paint repaired, the Body Filler will most likely continue to move, and very likely may eventually fall out all together leaving you with a pretty good mess.

If it had been done correctly, the dent should have been pulled out to no more than the thickness of a Dime, and then sanded and prepped so any filler could have a chance to stick. Then, and only then should it have been skimmed over with a light coat of body Filler, followed by a coat of putty to fill any air pockets and slight voids, then sanded smooth with the body line, then prime, paint, clear, blend, finish and done.

I am sorry to say it, but that whole thing is going to pretty much have to go down to bare metal and basically start completely over from scratch to remedy the situation.

If I were to fix it, by the time you get everything out of it, fix it the right way, shoot it, and blend it into the Quarter Panel, I would say you were looking at a bare minimum of $400.00 and up to do that repair correctly!

Their is just no good way around it on this one. They really stuck it to you unfortunately, and I wish I had a better solution for you. Its just one of those things. Whatever you do decide to do with it, I would big time advise you to not go ahead and have it painted without having fixed that dent first! Their are some people who would do it, and charge good money at that, but it would be a total waste!

Sorry man! Wish I could have been more help to you! Go easy, and I will catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 18 Apr 2011, 12:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I really want to make tattoo on body with paint, after looking at multiple websites I found liquid latex body paint and want to know more on it so that it can be used for body

body paint
Old 18 Apr 2011, 01:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkAvengerX Send a message via Skype™ to TheDarkAvengerX

I fixed up a crack on my pt yesterday. I just bought some touch up paint (only $10) and fixed it.