PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT Problems...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Mar 2010, 07:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs down PT Problems...

Hi guys,

UK Owner (Dunno how many there are on here!) and we've had some problems with ours.... history goes, for the first 2.9 years it was fine. however, the .1 before the warranty was up, crank snapped inside the engine, which killed the engine for us - cost us a good 2k to replace the engine. this has caused a few minor issues since:
Fan does not work - when stood still, it boils the water - we had a switch put in which later failed also. and we've had it fixed once (Turned out to the the electric coil) but it has died again.
Radio is on/off constantly. sometimes it works for ages, sometimes its a pain...
when turning, horrible noise (we think its the power steering) and there is sometimes also an awful clunk!
to top it all off, even though its been fixed once, the steering multifunction stalk is playing up again and turning the fogs on/off randomly, and sometimes constantly on....
And, when driving, there is a whine which sounds like the driveshaft, but I could be wrong....

SO

Anyone got any idea what's wrong?

seriously, getting it fixed is the biggest thing we need to get sorted, electrics first to maintain engine... does anyone have any costs as to how much, and I am talking seriously here!!!

Cheers

Grim
Old 09 Mar 2010, 08:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Problems...

Mr Grim.

Welcome to the forum. Yes we do have a few members on this forum from the UK but to tell the truth, you might be a lot better off visiting the United Kingdom PT Cruiser forum for most of your answers. They have a very experienced mechanic on the forum called Dr. Dredd plus the members could lead you in the right direction to finding a good mechanic in your area and the prices of repairs. Here's the link: UK Cruiser Club :: Index

Some of the problems you have seem pretty easy to sort out (new multi-function switch and either repair or replace the fan motor) while others, without an engine fault code, need further looking into to find the problem. Explaining a noise over the internet is probably the hardest thing to diagnose unless you know exactly where the noise is coming from.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 09 Mar 2010, 09:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT Problems...

Yours is the first non-turbo PT I've read about with a snapped crankshaft, and those weren't stock turbos, either.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles