Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Automatic Sun Roof

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Mar 2010, 03:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Automatic Sun Roof

The 04 base PT I had would automatically close the sun roof if it was open about 60 seconds after the car was turned off.

I've noticed the 06 LE doesn't do that. Was that a model specific feature or something? It's not a big deal so much as a curiosity.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 05:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Automatic Sun Roof

Really? Neither my '02 Touring or '05 Limited close the sunroof - never heard of that.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Mar 2010, 05:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

It did. In fact, the first time it happened, I thought I was losing my ming. I parked the car and left the windows and roof open since I was just running into the store. When I came out, the roof was closed and I didn't recall closing it.

It wasn't until one night I was sitting in the car looking for something after I parked and shut it off that I saw it closed on its own. I thought it was kind of cool, sort of like the idiot bell that reminds me I left the lights on. I can live without it, but it was nice to have.

Maybe the sunroof on the '04 was aftermarket?
Old 11 Mar 2010, 08:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The sunroof in the 2004 models did not have an express close function, meaning that in order for the sunroof to close, the ignition has to be on and the switch has to be held in the close position.

It's very unlikely that it was an aftermarket sunroof, as a sunroof is extremely difficult and expensive to install in a vehicle that did not come equipped with one.

What you likely had was an aftermarket alarm system that automatically closed the sunroof. Something like a programmable auxillary function that somebody had programmed to close the sunroof.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 11:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

I would not want a sun roof that closed on its own without someone pressing a switch. I've heard of children being choked to death by side windows that raised automatically after the child stepped on the button. It's nice that my windows and sunroof open at the press of a button but I'm glad I have to hold the buttons to get them to close.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 11 Mar 2010, 11:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Manufacturers are required to use pressure strips when they have auto-up windows and sunroofs. There is a pressure strip along the top of the window frame and around the front of the sunroof frame, and if there is something blocking the path of travel, such as a limb, the window/sunroof automatically stops and retracts a few inches.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 11:22 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post

What you likely had was an aftermarket alarm system that automatically closed the sunroof. Something like a programmable auxillary function that somebody had programmed to close the sunroof.

That seems odd to me as there were no power locks on the car or any indication of an alarm system having been installed. Of course, the roof closing on its own seemed odd to me at first too, so who knows.....
Old 12 Mar 2010, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_F View Post
I thought it was kind of cool, sort of like the idiot bell that reminds me I left the lights on.
AND - If you travel too far with a turn signal on, it chimes! (Oldtimers alert).
Old 13 Mar 2010, 09:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
AND - If you travel too far with a turn signal on, it chimes! (Oldtimers alert).
I haven't experienced that one yet. I am half tempted to drive down the road with it on just to see what it sounds like. I really need to get a hobby......
Old 13 Mar 2010, 10:45 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW

My Audi will close everything up if you lock it with a key. Now I have to go out and check this out on the PT. Yeah. I like all those cool little things. Have to check the geez alert too.