PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 TURN SIGNAL PROBLEM

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2010, 10:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 TURN SIGNAL PROBLEM

Im new on the forum so I hope this is in the right spot. My girl friend has a 2006 pt touring edition. The left front turn signal will not blink and the short filament will not light up. Also the flasher flashes fast on the left side. Ive tried everything I can think of. With a volt meter the same plug lights up as the right side when the turn signal is on so I figured its the pig tail. Nope I switched them and still the same result. I dont understand if it has power why is it not lighting up? Any tips anybody can think of?

thanks, dj
Old 13 Mar 2010, 12:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 TURN SIGNAL PROBLEM

Did you replace the bulb?
Old 13 Mar 2010, 01:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes its a new bulb. I also took the plug with bulb in it and switched sides and still the left turn signal doesnt work. so that plug and bulb worked on the right side. Its strange.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 05:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

anybody else know of anything I could try?
Old 15 Mar 2010, 06:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

In your first post you said the left side has power at the socket and it's still not lighting up with a new bulb? That power, is it on/off as the flasher goes on/off? If so, you have to have something wrong (rust/broken connection) at the socket itself.

But now, reading further, you switched sides with bulb and socket and still the left side doesn't blink. The where is this "power" your talking about?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 07:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have a hard time believing that you cut the wires of each turn signal socket, soldered them into the opposite side to try them, then cut them again and soldered them in their original places.

How exactly did you "swap" the sockets? And are you basing your diagnosis of "power but no light" on the fact that it worked on the other side? Or did you test for power?

It could be as simple as a broken wire probably within the fender somewhere.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 08:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Let me clear this up. I didnt soilder anything. The wiring harness has a plug at the end. There is a piece that plugs into that then the bulb plugs into that piece. I thought that plastic piece could have been the problem but i switched them and still nothing on the left side. I took a volt meter with the plastic piece and blub out and checked straight off the wiring harness and the left side did the same as the right. for example with the left turn signal on 1 pin was hot and when i did the right side the same one was hot. Im at a loss it seems to me if power is getting to the end of the wiring harness then why isnt it lighting the bulb.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 08:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There's no reason. Either the bulb isn't seating itself properly or it's a bad bulb.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 09:17 am
Senior Cruiser

Is the bulb lining up right when you twist it in? My old Toyota used to get water in the light sometime and I had to clean up the socket and grease it up a little and than it was fine. But you said you changed the socket so I'm at a lose.

Good luck Bro you got a tricky one on your hands.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 09:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

the bulb and sockets have to be good because i switched them around and they both work. the more i think wonder if the plug on the harness isnt making good contact with the plug? I guess a prong could be bent and when i put the volt meter in it touches but it isnt making contact with the plug. ill check that out tonight. thats the only thing i could think of. anybody else have any suggestions please let me know.

dj