Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Changed my spark plugs, now I've some problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2010, 09:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Changed my spark plugs, now I've some problems

Today I changed the plugs and wires on the '06 LE. I thought everything went fine, but something isn't right.

When I cranked up the car, the car's idle shot up to 2500 RPM right away. The check engine light came on and there is a misfire.

I ran out of day light, so I'll have to deal with it tomorrow, but I took it to Auto Zone to have the code read figuring if I knew which cylinder wasn't firing right I could save some time when I pull it apart tomorrow.

They reading came back saying it was the MAP sensor. When I checked it out, it looked like I'd installed it upside down. So, I flipped it over and thought that's all, but it's not.

I took it for another test and it was still misfiring. In addition to the misfire, when I floored the gas, there was no response. The car acted like it wanted to stall and the engine revved, but there was no acceleration for several seconds.

I am puzzled as to what I could have possibly done to the car. I got an extended warranty from the bank when we got the car, but it won't cover anything I broke doing maint work.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 12:38 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Changed my spark plugs, now I've some problems

Take the plugs out and wires off, re-gap and check the plugs and reinstall the wires. What kind of plugs and wires did you get and what did you gap them at? Maybe you knocked something loose or something. Good luck Bro
Old 14 Mar 2010, 08:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Good advice. Recheck everything, take your time and use dielectric grease on the wire ends and anti-seize on the plug threads.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 10:27 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Take the plugs out and wires off, re-gap and check the plugs and reinstall the wires. What kind of plugs and wires did you get and what did you gap them at? Maybe you knocked something loose or something. Good luck Bro
I used Champion Platinum Plugs and NAPA's premium wire set. I set the gap at .40.

I figured I was going to have to tear it all apart today and see what was going on. If it was just a misfire, I would lean towards something with the plugs or wires. The high idle is what's really got me puzzled. I've never had that sort of problem before.

Quote:
take your time and use dielectric grease on the wire ends and anti-seize on the plug threads.
I did that when I put them in. At least they'll come out easier today than they did yesterday I'm off to grab my tool box and crack the hood open again...
Old 14 Mar 2010, 10:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

A high idle sometimes means some sort of vacuum leak if it doesn't tun out to be something electrical or an unplugged sensor.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 11:27 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
A high idle sometimes means some sort of vacuum leak if it doesn't tun out to be something electrical or an unplugged sensor.
If by leak you mean leaving a hose disconnected from the manifold, then it was indeed a leak

I went out to the car and popped the hood to start taking thing apart and immediately noticed a hose that had been left disconnected. I popped it back and fired up the car and it idled a little higher than usual at about 1200. I went for a drive through the neighborhood and it's running smooth and accelerating on demand now

When I turned the car off and restarted, it idled at 800 or so so it seems to be back to normal.

The only remaining issue I have is how do I reset the check engine light?
Old 14 Mar 2010, 11:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad you found your problem and YES by leak I meant either air getting in from a disconnected hose or in/out thru a crack in the manifold or intake hose.

To get rid of all stored faults in the computer and the check engine light, take off the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes. You shouldn't lose any of your pre-set radio stations. The car might run a little ruff for a minute or two when first starting it up again while the computer learns some of your stored settings. Drive normally (fast or slow depending on your type of driving) so the computer learns that too.

Old 14 Mar 2010, 03:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks

I always appreciate how you guys here have my back when I really need some help.
Old 14 Mar 2010, 08:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Glad you worked it out, without getting all greasy with a bloody knuckle or two
Old 14 Mar 2010, 09:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Glad you worked it out, without getting all greasy with a bloody knuckle or two
Well no bloody knuckles anyway