Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
after dead battery passenger side windows won't work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Mar 2010, 02:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question after dead battery passenger side windows won't work

The battery went dead on my 05 pt cruiser turbo gt convertible. had it charged and the passenger side windows don't work now (they worked prior to this happening). All other electrical devices work fine. I reset the computer thinking that it may take care of the problem, but it didn't. I looked in my owner's manual and couldn't find any indication of if/where the fuses/relay are.

Any thoughts?
Old 14 Mar 2010, 10:57 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: after dead battery passenger side windows won't work

Hey valcansa,

I would say it sounds like you still might have a ghost in the system. I would say try resetting the system one more time. Just leave it of for a good five minutes just to make sure its cleared, and try it one more time, and see if that works.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 15 Mar 2010, 04:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to IMIEIW
Default Re: after dead battery passenger side windows won't work

Silly question, do you know why the battery went dead. Could it be because of a short in the switch? Hope its working with the reset. Good Luck.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 04:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

check this post. window fuse location?
Old 16 Mar 2010, 09:26 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to fljohnboy

I had my battery unhooked once and when I put them back on my speedometr didn't work. I read somewhere if you take the cables back off and then touch the 2 cables together then put back on battery. I did and it fixed it. Give it a try and let us know.
Old 24 Mar 2010, 04:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

replaced a bad turbo on an 05 PT Cruiser Convertible, 2.4L Turbo. Battery was disconnected during part of the process.

Before the turbo change and battery disconnect, all windows and convertible worked great. Now, passenger side only works perfectly. Driver's side door window is down, rear small wing window is up, and neither will go up or down, and the convertible still doesn't work either.

Replaced automatic window switch in console, still doesn't work.

Took positive battery cable off for 5 minutes thinking the computer just needed to reset the "Smart Windows" or whatever...still not working...

Is there any type of fix I can do or try before I go give a dealership 150 bucks to tell my the computer needs to be reset?
Old 06 Apr 2010, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I want to thank everyone for their help. The system definitely still had a ghost in the system. I disconnected the battery and left it for about 10 minutes, reconnected and voila! the passenger side windows worked!

A note on why the battery went dead: I had fridge plugged into my cigarette lighter and left it plugged in the whole day.

I defnitely won't do that again.
Old 04 Nov 2010, 10:24 am
Regular Cruiser

Just got mine back from having the bad fuel pump dealt with, and my passenger side windows don't work (didn't try the convertible top yet) but I just googled and managed to find this:

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: With the proper system voltage condition (10 -16 volts), the following conditions exist: on either or both sides of the vehicle: No operation of the front and rear windows, including front window drop during door opening and window drop during convertible top operation. Unable to communicate with either or both SGMs with the DRBIIIŽ. If the driver side SGM is affected, the driver side windows will exhibit the conditions described above as well as the power convertible top will be inoperative. DIAGNOSIS: After confirmation of the conditions identified above, the following reset procedure must be performed to determine the module hardware and software level: Open both doors (provides a faster voltage decay in the SGMs). Remove the 40 amp window circuit breaker from the fuse block (lower left I/P). Keep the breaker disconnected for a minimum of 15 minutes.

Will try it when I get home today.
Old 04 Nov 2010, 01:37 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: after dead battery passenger side windows won't work

Hey their Badger,

Good advice, and yep, you can either pull the fuse block, or still may be easier, or maybe a tad less confusing rather than pulling fuse blocks which may not get put back in tight enough, or what not to maybe still go ahead and disconnect the Battery Terminal to do the reset instead. Make sure to hit the Brake pedal for 10 seconds or some other form of resolving any residual discharge from the system, let the system sit for 15 - 20 seconds to completely clear the memory, and reset. Then re-install and re-check. If you have had a dead Battery, this will cause multiple false positive Codes, and a number of Ghost Glitches which are only temporary and should resolve after proper reset. Please note this may take more than one time to clear everything completely without the use of a Tool. Either way should still work fine for doing a reset. I was just saying pulling the battery terminal might be easier for some people.

At any rate, if you still have any Codes or other Electrical Glitches in your system after performing a reset at least 3 times, you have a problem somewhere in the system at which point you can either try to trace it out, or if it is a bad wire, or other unknown entity, you may need to either hook it to a Computer, or pay the $100.00 or so for a Diagnostic which will bring up a live scan of your Vehicles on board Electrical System, and Computer Operations which should show exactly where the problem or break is located at.

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 01 Jan 2011, 08:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Any more advice on this issue for a newbie? Auto drop feature on driver's side is all that is not working on our 2005 Vert. Had to replace battery, and that's when problem arose. Tried disconnecitng battery 3 times for 20 mins each. Tried removing apparently related fuses, no obvious issue there. Same problem continues. One thread says doors have to be closed when batt is reconnected. This thread, I think, says leave open to get rid of "charge." Any additonal suggestions? Motors and switches for all windows seem to work fine otherhwise, it's just the auto drop on driver's side that's a problem. Thanks.

Last edited by BearbeighPT; 01 Jan 2011 at 08:39 pm.