Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cruise Control Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Mar 2010, 11:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cruise Control Problem

Hey everyone i have a 2002 pt cruiser. Recently while im driving the car bucks and my spedometer goes up ten miles per hour and my cruiser control light kicks on. Any one know what this problem is or how to fix it? Any suggestions or fixes will be greatly appreciated.
Old 15 Mar 2010, 08:38 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Cruise Control Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandean View Post
Hey everyone i have a 2002 pt cruiser. Recently while im driving the car bucks and my spedometer goes up ten miles per hour and my cruiser control light kicks on. Any one know what this problem is or how to fix it? Any suggestions or fixes will be greatly appreciated.
Are you saying your cruise control goes on by itself? I remember reading something about that happening on this forum, but sorry I don't remember what the outcome was. The bucking sounds like a set of wires or plugs if you still have the originals.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 04:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yea my cruise control comes on by itself. And its like a loud bang sound and then my speedometer like goes outta control. But what are you saying about the original wires?
Old 16 Mar 2010, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If this makes any sence i seem to notice it doing this in the warmer weather. I live in pennsylvania so winter is just now getting over and the past two weeks or so its been getting warmer and this is about the same time the problem started. Dont know if that has anything to do with it or not
Old 16 Mar 2010, 06:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Yea my cruise control comes on by itself. And its like a loud bang sound and then my speedometer like goes outta control. But what are you saying about the original wires?
The oringinal spark plug wires are a known problem - get new wires and new plugs - gap at 0.040 - before you go nuts.
Does the cruise dis-engage when you hit brake? If not, might want to pull fuse 'till you get it sorted out.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Mar 2010, 07:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I didnt know that the spark plug wires were a known problem. Ill check them out and ill order a new set. Are they simple to buy and replace? And no the cruise control does not disengage when i hit the brake. But yea man im on the verge of going nuts over here lol. The thing is it doesnt stay on the whole time it turns on for about thrity seconds and then shuts off.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 10:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
I didnt know that the spark plug wires were a known problem. Ill check them out and ill order a new set. Are they simple to buy and replace? And no the cruise control does not disengage when i hit the brake. But yea man im on the verge of going nuts over here lol. The thing is it doesnt stay on the whole time it turns on for about thrity seconds and then shuts off.
Buy some better than stock wires, alot of the guys use the MSD wires I'm a big fan of Granatelli wires, they are built so nice. And like quickdon said disable the cruise control.

Granatelli MPG/Plus Gas Saving Ignition Wire Sets : CarParts, Tools and Equipment

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...lug+Wire%20MSD

Last edited by Dino; 16 Mar 2010 at 10:29 pm.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Search for Multifunction Switch Problems, that may be your cruise control problem. Pull that fuse before you get in a situation where it kicks in and you lose control.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 Mar 2010, 07:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Alright thanks alot. Just wondering do you guys happen to know what number that fuse is. I cant seem to find it on the fuse panel cover. And my car never came with an owners manual. And to buy these spark plug wires do you think i can buy them off of ebay?
Old 17 Mar 2010, 07:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No reason not to eBay - see if you can get Crane wires - they aren't made any more, but they are great!