Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
timing belt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2010, 08:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default timing belt

My timing belt broke while I was riding home from work. I wasnt going very fast,
I'm worried that I might have damaged my engine though. the code said camshaft sensor but It was the belt. My mechanic is replaceing the belt and water pump .. is that enough?
Old 15 Mar 2010, 08:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: timing belt

Beside the belt and water pump, Chrysler changed the tensioner in 2003 and it does wear out so you should put a new one in. The serpentine belt and the alternator belt should also be changed at the same time if you hadn't already done so. You won't be able to tell if the valves hit each other until you get it back going again. There's a simple test your mechanic can do to find out. The good thing is the valves can't hit the pistons.

When the belt broke, the camshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor both saw that there was no more signal coming in because the engine wasn't tuning over anymore. Getting one or the other fault code from crank or cam is normal.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Apr 2010, 11:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have an 01 Cruiser, can you tell me where the marks are to be? There seems to be some debate, and you seem to know the right information. I did the nail polish trick befor I started to change the belt. When I put the belt back on it wouldnt start. I'm very mechanically inclined, so this didnt make sence. I did the rookie thing and moved the belt after turning the motor over a few times, and now I'm, not sure that the marks are correct. Can you help me, Ted
Old 07 Apr 2010, 11:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

I for got to mention that I changed the belt due to a bad water pump
Old 07 Apr 2010, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfounder View Post
I have an 01 Cruiser, can you tell me where the marks are to be? There seems to be some debate, and you seem to know the right information.
Ted,

If your talking to me, someone else will have to answer that question because I just let my mechanic do the whole job. There has been some pictures posted about the timing marks so if you do a search for "timing" or related subjects I'm sure you can find out more information.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 07 Apr 2010, 02:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you, I have purchased a Chiltons Manual, and all the spec's are there. Thank you for your time,