Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
some PT GT problems Hesitation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Mar 2010, 10:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default some PT GT problems Hesitation

Hey guys, I'm getting a hesitation or a stutter when I am really getting on it. The car feels strong as it pulls to red-line but their are noticeable stutters at about 4000K to red-line. I Just did a tune up ( wires, plugs gapped to .45, air filter, oil change). On top of all that I have just changed the air idle control valve, valve cover gasket and the air intake gasket (which fixed a trouble code for #4 cylinder misfire). Now don't get me wrong this is not a "bucking" feeling. It just feels like it's getting held back. I have tried some fuel system cleaner and I always run 93 octane. My god I didn't realize that i put that much into the car in the past month .
Old 16 Mar 2010, 11:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: some PT GT problems Hesitation

Did you have the problem before the tune up? If not I suggest you go over the plugs and wires. The gap for a turbo seems wide according to what the turbo guys are using, especially if your using the iridium plugs. Dielectric grease on all the wire ends will help make a sure contact and also keep dirt and moisture out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 11:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree (as usual) w/Crewzin-
When I saw your gap - that's big even for a non-turbo - try 0.035 and report back!

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Mar 2010, 05:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Re: some PT GT problems Hesitation

Okay I checked and my gap is @ .35. So i don't think thats the problem. On the way home from work I got a 0440 code. Could it be related? I don't know. Help....
Old 22 Mar 2010, 05:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

From PT Do-It-Yourself.net ......

I have a 2003 TE PT with 65k miles. My check engine light keeps coming on. It has been to the shop around 6 times and they can't seem to figure out what the heck is wrong with it. The code reads P0440. I have changed the fuel cap, but it didn't work. Brian, from Texas.

P0440 - General EVAP System Failure

Possible causes include:

Visual and Physical Inspection
Evap Purge Solenoid Vacuum Supply Inspection
Evap Purge Solenoid Stuck Closed
NVLD Switch Operation
(Z1) Ground Circuit Open
NVLD Assembly
NVLD Switch Signal Circuit Open
Evaporative Emission Leak Detection
PCM

If you mean, by shop, a local automotive shop, take it to a DC dealer. They have the necessary equipment and experience to diagnose most faults. If you are using a DC dealer and they have been unsuccessful in resolving it obtain a second opinion from another DC dealer.

You can DIY the visual and physical inspection of the Evaporative Emission system, but to check the remainder of potential causes, a DRB III scan tool, diagnostic manual and assorted other automotive test equipment is necessary.

Perform a visual and physical inspection of the entire Evaporative Emission system. Check for the following conditions:

Hoses disconnected or left off
Holes or cracks
Loose seal points
Evidence of damaged components
Incorrect routing of hoses and tubes
Fuel Cap left off or bad gasket seal

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 07:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

I was looking at the pt again. I sprayed some starter fluid around the back side if the aluminum air intake. The idle smoothed out. So thats telling me I have some kind of leak around the gasket (that i just replaced). My question is could it be a leak at the valve cover gasket? Or would that just leak oil?
Old 27 Mar 2010, 09:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Intake gasket leak.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 Mar 2010, 06:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I pulled the intake again and their is an oily substance on the gasket. It looks like it is seeping from the intake tract to the outer edge. So that is telling me that if the oil is seeping out the intake then the air is leaking too. So, how do I seal this? I was thinking that just replacing the aluminum intake with the composite would go along way to help solve this problem. But in the mean time do you think some RTV would do the trick?? Thanks guys.
Old 03 Apr 2010, 09:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well I took it into the "professional" mechanic. I will post what they come up with.
Old 05 Apr 2010, 04:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Welp, the pro told me that the LOWER intake manifold gasket was bad... DUH! 150 bux later it's all done. Rock steady idle. Hope this helps someone in the future.