Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
L rear wheel lock up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Mar 2010, 04:52 pm
Banned

Default L rear wheel lock up

Had the L rear wheel lock up on me today pulling away from a light (01 std). I noticed something strange a few minutes earlier while in a lot, but backing up a bit the pulling forward all seemed ok. Managed to get the thing to a lot around the corner....yanked on the e-brake handle a few times and managed to get it home without it happening again.

No brake noise that I can detect...although I think the watts link in the rear is hosed....there's a decent rattle from the rear of the car without much provocation. Sound like the drums/shoes need attention? I've not so much as pulled the wheel off yet.....just looking for info before I have a look.
Old 16 Mar 2010, 06:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: L rear wheel lock up

Wheel cylinder lock up?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Mar 2010, 06:35 pm
Banned

The std model has drums in the rear right? I'm not a mechanic, but just from the lack of problem in reverse it seems to be related to shoes/drums. I know the cable can sieze from lack of use, but that seems like it would cause no brake function, not lock up.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 09:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtr_Tech View Post
The std model has drums in the rear right? I'm not a mechanic, but just from the lack of problem in reverse it seems to be related to shoes/drums. I know the cable can sieze from lack of use, but that seems like it would cause no brake function, not lock up.
I think when you nrake backing up, it adjusts the rear brakes.
Peculiar in that wear usually means no brakes....That's why I'm thinking a wheel clylder (that pushes shoes out) went and isn't retracting when you take foot off brake.

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 17 Mar 2010 at 09:48 am.
Old 17 Mar 2010, 11:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

check the fluid in the master cylinder if the wheel cly went it should be leaking