Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dumb engine question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2010, 09:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dumb engine question

I have an '03 PT with a 2.4L non-turbo. The engine is going bad, developed an upper engine knock/rattle. I have found some 08 era 2.4L engines in the junk yard. Just want to know if they are usable - my recollection is the 2.4 has not really changed but I figured I would ask just to be sure.

Thanks
Old 17 Mar 2010, 11:25 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Dumb engine question

I have yet to see any major engine problems with the 2.4 in our shop (Chrysler dealership). We've seen PTs with over 150k miles with no problems. Unless the engine wasn't cared for, the engine shouldn't be going out.

If it's an upper end rattle, perhaps you just need lifters? What makes you think the engine itself is bad?
Old 18 Mar 2010, 07:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

My PT has 140k miles and I have owned it for about 30k of its life so I have no idea what its prior owner did - I maintain my own vehicles and it has been well maintained since its purchase. I have had oil pressure issues with the engine for a bit now, which I believed was a bad sensor as I always had plenty of oil when I checked and it seemed highly intermittent. However, I will say my experience with Chrysler 4 cylinder engines has been that they don't generally make it much past 150k without issues.

But it is really an economics thing - I can buy a low mileage engine for $600, replace it myself, sell parts off the old engine parts (intakes etc) and then the core itself and get a fair amount of that money back and have a nearly new engine in my car. I need to replace the clutch as well (it is a 5 sp).

I can't imagine someone bringing a PT to the dealer when the engine sounded like it was dying, nothing personal. But you all would charge thousands of dollars for the engine itself and probably a comparable amount for the labor - which would be well more than any PT with that mileage would be worth.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 07:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelberg View Post
My PT has 140k miles and I have owned it for about 30k of its life so I have no idea what its prior owner did - I maintain my own vehicles and it has been well maintained since its purchase. I have had oil pressure issues with the engine for a bit now, which I believed was a bad sensor as I always had plenty of oil when I checked and it seemed highly intermittent. However, I will say my experience with Chrysler 4 cylinder engines has been that they don't generally make it much past 150k without issues.

But it is really an economics thing - I can buy a low mileage engine for $600, replace it myself, sell parts off the old engine parts (intakes etc) and then the core itself and get a fair amount of that money back and have a nearly new engine in my car. I need to replace the clutch as well (it is a 5 sp).

I can't imagine someone bringing a PT to the dealer when the engine sounded like it was dying, nothing personal. But you all would charge thousands of dollars for the engine itself and probably a comparable amount for the labor - which would be well more than any PT with that mileage would be worth.

600 bucks is a great deal for a low mileage engine and you won't even have to do the timing belt which you were way overdue for. I can't tell you if it will fit though but I can't see why not.
It was nice to hear from a guy in the know (heifetz17) that the the PT engine holds up nice when taken care off.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 08:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

I would put a new timing belt, water pump etc in the new engine anyway. But I replaced all that when I got the car as I assumed the prior owner did not.
Old 18 Mar 2010, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I think some one one here did that and there was a issue with the computor not reading something?????????
Old 18 Mar 2010, 10:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There are other posts on this - but in short - NO.
Later engines went to a different bus, the crank sensor is different (internal), and you'd need the complete wiring harness and CPU.
Stick to an '03 to make it easier on you.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles