Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

2002 PT CRUISER WON'T START -98k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2010, 12:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to MsLeah
Unhappy 2002 PT CRUISER WON'T START -98k

Ok, I've been out of my car for a week & $900 later, my car is STILL not working. I hope you guys can help. The initial problem began when my car which is garaged began to start as normal, made a loud pop, then the engine light came on & it wouldn't start. I let it sit about 5 minutes & then it started again but the engine light was on. It ran for about 4 more days & the engine light went back off the second day. Then by that weekend, it started up & then stopped a few blocks from my house. A mechanic on my job "said" he tested it which at this point, I don't know how true that is. He says he can't work on it, so he tows it to his buddy that has a shop. 4 days later, the new guy finally takes my car apart & discovers that the timing belt/water pump are not bad. I don't know if he changed the cam shaft sensor or not but I did buy it. Since he had already taken it apart, we had him go ahead & change it. Then he said that there was gas flooding the injectors & he didn't know why. After having my car since last Monday, he gave up & says he thinks the computer is telling the car to give too much gas & is flooding it out. We are not made of money & have to tow my car somewhere else. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 19 Mar 2010, 06:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT CRUISER WON'T START -98k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLeah View Post
Ok, I've been out of my car for a week & $900 later, my car is STILL not working. I hope you guys can help. The initial problem began when my car which is garaged began to start as normal, made a loud pop, then the engine light came on & it wouldn't start. I let it sit about 5 minutes & then it started again but the engine light was on. It ran for about 4 more days & the engine light went back off the second day. Then by that weekend, it started up & then stopped a few blocks from my house. A mechanic on my job "said" he tested it which at this point, I don't know how true that is. He says he can't work on it, so he tows it to his buddy that has a shop. 4 days later, the new guy finally takes my car apart & discovers that the timing belt/water pump are not bad. I don't know if he changed the cam shaft sensor or not but I did buy it. Since he had already taken it apart, we had him go ahead & change it. Then he said that there was gas flooding the injectors & he didn't know why. After having my car since last Monday, he gave up & says he thinks the computer is telling the car to give too much gas & is flooding it out. We are not made of money & have to tow my car somewhere else. Has anyone else had this problem?
Sounds to me that this guy don't know what he's talking about and don't Jack about PT's. So he took the car apart without even knowing the belt was broken for sure. If I was you I would find a more experience mechanic. Since you let him do the job I doubt you will get any money back from him.
As far as the problem, just wait some mechanics usually give advice. hopefully they will help you out soon. Good Luck.
Old 24 Mar 2010, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to MsLeah
Thumbs up Re: 2002 PT CRUISER WON'T START -98k

You were EXACTLY right. We took the car away from there & the new mechanic says they first guy didn't put it back together right & caused several other issues. It's getting fixed correctly now...Thanks for your response.
Old 24 Mar 2010, 07:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
You were EXACTLY right. We took the car away from there & the new mechanic says they first guy didn't put it back together right & caused several other issues. It's getting fixed correctly now...Thanks for your response.
I'm glad you got your PT somewhere safer, I hope this guy gets it back together right
Old 25 Mar 2010, 08:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

When it's running well, look into getting the timing belt and water pump changed - next time it dies, that'll probably be the cause - at 98,000, you're getting close.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Mar 2010, 04:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
When it's running well, look into getting the timing belt and water pump changed - next time it dies, that'll probably be the cause - at 98,000, you're getting close.

He had the guy change it but he didn't do it right, so another mechanic is fixing it
Old 09 Jun 2010, 09:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
So, what was the problem with your car? I am having the EXACT same problem you had!!! Every problem you had, I am having now. Just wondering where to go from here, I could REALLY use the information that your second mechanic game you. Thank you.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 01:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

She had timing belt replaced - first guy did it wrong.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 07:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I understand that. What I am trying to find out is WHAT was done wrong.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 08:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryD View Post
I understand that. What I am trying to find out is WHAT was done wrong.

Most likely the timing belt was installed wrong and it is out of time. It's tricky to get right it's easy to be off a tooth.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Dino; 13 Jun 2010 at 02:10 pm.

Tags
camshaft sensor, flooding, stalled, won't start