Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Road Trips in Pt Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2010, 08:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Road Trips in Pt Cruiser

Just wondering how far some of you have taken your pt on a road trip,has anyone went across country,and if so how do they do on a long trip?
Old 24 Mar 2010, 08:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Road Trips in Pt Cruiser

My Grandkids are up in Virginia. A 780 mile trip one way. Wife and I go up to visit about 4 to 5 times a year and used to take the cruiser (now we take her KIA). The cruiser did fine and cruised most of the way at between 65 and 75 mph, mostly on cruise control, usually only stopping for gas, snack and potty break. It's not great on gas mileage at that speed but I never felt cramped or had the feeling that I just had to get out and stretch.

Also attended two of the biggest PT shows up in Canada (Cruise the Falls 1 and 3). Not sure how many miles that was but a long trip. On the way back from show No#1 we headed over to Maine and took the scenic route back to Florida keeping as close to the Atlantic seaboard as possible which added about 3-400 or more miles to the trip.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 Mar 2010 at 09:02 pm.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 01:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Haven't taken mine on a trip as long as Crewzin is talking about. I did take the first PT I had on an 9 hour trip. I found it to be pretty good overall. Mileage wasn't too bad and I had plenty of leg and headroom.

It was comfortable enough that when the wife and I go back to New Mexico for a few days in June,(about a 10-11 hour trip) I'll be trying to talk her into taking the new PT instead of the CRV.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 01:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to slayerdarkcross Send a message via MSN to slayerdarkcross

Me and Ron from ODaddyO just did about 600 miles of driving from Orange County to Laughlin and back
Old 25 Mar 2010, 01:15 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Road Trips in Pt Cruiser

Hey their o8bluept,

I just took mine on a 300 mile trip worth about 6 hours on the road. Actually did fairly well all the way up and back.

Sorry, I had to do that.

Seriously I have made the same trip a couple of times without the trailer as well, but I am afraid Crewzin has still got me beat at least in a PT. I used to drive cross country for Fed Ex and racked 22000 miles a month full team on a truck.

I know of a few PT's that have cruised cross country before from out here in Southern California to Florida without much problem though I don't know for sure of anyone on here having gone much further than already stated. I am sure someone will chime in on this one.

Anyways, go easy, and if you choose to take her on a good trip, remember we like pictures, especially unique and off the beaten path pic's like at the Worlds Largest Ball of Twine, or something along those lines!

Go easy, and I'll catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 25 Mar 2010, 04:49 am
Senior Cruiser

I've made several 8hr/500 mile runs from Durham,NC to Ft Benning, Ga, and a 12hr/800 mile trip to Mississippi. Not a problems at all!
Old 25 Mar 2010, 05:02 am
Regular Cruiser

I have done a 3 hr 180 mile trip in January...and am planning another for April. It involved driving on a couple 6% mountain grades and I was very impressed by her. She is a NA and was able to hold 60-65 on the grades. And one time when I had to get to 75 to get on a freeway ahead of a big rig she did it very well. My last car was an 87 Fifth Ave with a big V8 and the little PT does almost as well as the much bigger car...and has almost as much interior space as the big car as well. I do not agree with the people who say the PT is slow. It is not a hot rod but is far from slow.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 08:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT

I've been on a few long trips with my Bella, from Kansas City to Fort Worth and to Atlanta. She's no Fifth Avenue, but she rides very well. Even though I'd love to have say 16" or 17" wheels, I think the extra rubber helps the ride.

I've been told that my gas mileage is unusual for a PT, but with 3.5 passengers and a boot full of travel gear, we pulled just short of 30 MPG running the trips at around 70 miles an hour. Gotta love the 5 speed!
Old 29 Mar 2010, 09:30 am
Young Cruiser

Just did a 600 mile trip in mine and it did great. i have a basic model with no cruise control and it did 27 MPG at 80 MPH most of the time. This weekend coming up Im going on a 1000 mile round trip and hoping for the same results. Though...I really think I need the cruise control LMAO.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 06:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have travelled from Manitoba,Canada to Texas twice (3300 mile round trip )-averaged 30 mpg at 65-70 mph. My car was very comfortable for a long trip.Did 1000 miles in 1 day once ! A long long day . My wife and I are planning to go again later in April.

Last edited by Cruzn01; 29 Mar 2010 at 07:12 pm. Reason: double typed words