Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hello Everyone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Mar 2010, 07:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hello Everyone

I am new to the forum today and would like to start by thanking you all for a nice website I can enjoy while working on my "new to me" PT. Well almost new to me. I bought my 2001 Ltd actually for my wife back in 2000 as a birthday gift. My Wife has passed away and now after two years of just weekend use I am driving it full time. It has 60K miles on it and is in immaculate condition she took beautiful care of it.

I have one problem maybe someone can help with. The front foglights will not come on. Sears Auto center told me there was voltage at the wires where they enter the sockets but that was all they could do. I meant to have them fixed but back when I had some troubles getting used to driving my wifes car. As time has passed I am better able to now and would like to fix these.

I have been told the light sockets themselves may be corroded or the bulbs the same. (My wife never used the foglights).

Can anyone help me learn how to fix the problem? I am sure the light switch itself is fine.

Thank You so Much.

Ron

Last edited by RonsCruiser; 25 Mar 2010 at 07:33 am.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 07:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hello Everyone

Ron,

Welcome to the forum. If there's voltage at the wires, as Sears said, then your probably right about the corrosion inside the light holders stopping the voltage getting to the bulbs. It's easy enough to get under the car and take the bulb holder and bulb out for inspection. Whatever you do, replace the bulbs if they have never been used since 2001. Once you take the bulbs out you should be able to see any rust or corrosion that's built up inside the holder.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 07:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin,
So I need to lay under the front pan and reach up to the sockets from the back of the housing? I don't go in through the wheelwell? So glad for that.

Is it just a socket or do I have to unscrew the housing? I see from pictures there is a screw holding the whole Light housing to the pan.
Thank you again.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 08:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ron,

Yes, access is from under the front bumper.
Better if you jack the car up (and use jack stands) to make the job easier. I believe there's some black plastic cladding in the way and one plastic screw that holds it together. Undo the screw which will give you access to the back of the fog light. It's been awhile but I think the bulb holder just twists (probably counter-clockwise) and the holder and bulb just pop off.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 09:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

I will check it out. Sounds like an easy fix to me. Thank you again and hopefully I will have some pics of the car soon. I tried uploading to my gallery and it was successful but I can't find the pic anywhere.

I am also dealing with the peeling chrome on the wheels. Man that was a real quality issue. Chrysler replaced two under warranty years ago. The other two are giving me problems now.

Thanks for your help Crewzin!
Old 25 Mar 2010, 09:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No problem. Yea, I don't see any pictures in your gallery but I don't know how that works. I uploaded mine awhile back and I'll do another one to see if it's working.

The chrome wheels on certain years were a problem, probably in manufacturing and you were lucky to get at least 2 replaced. Most owners had to bite the bullet and try and fix what they had or buy new wheels themselves.

P.S. The Photo Upload does work. It will ask you twice to upload the same picture so make sure you see the second one and choose the right gallery to post it to.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 25 Mar 2010 at 10:09 am.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

I selected "Members Galleries" and uploaded the file but It's not there. I checked the "R" section assuming thats where it would be. I'll figure it out someday. Thanks!
Old 25 Mar 2010, 12:37 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Hello Everyone

Hey their Ron,

First off, a big welcome to the Forum! Always nice to have another Cruiser Friend around!

Sorry to see your having problems uploading your photo's here. If you would like, if you could either email me over your photos, or give me a Link to where they are I can either upload them here, or set you up a Photobucket Account with a Link you can put here so everyone can check out your PT. The only down side to putting your photos directly into a gallery here for you is that I will need to log in as you so I will need you to also enclose your name and password information in your email, but once in, I can get you all set up with a photo next to your name, and a signature at the bottom like mine is as well. My Email is at the bottom of my post, but just for the heck of it here I will put it again.

westvalleycruisers@yahoo.com

Please let me know if I can help out in any way.

Thank you, and again, welcome to the Forum!

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 25 Mar 2010, 07:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Candyman,
Thanks for the offer to help. Not really sure what I am doing wrong here but I will be uploading the pics I have to Photobucket tomorrow evening. They are on my work machine and well they are not on my little thumb drive so it can wait.

It's a black PT with all options except the roof rack and the Alaska heater. Pewter interior. I was just looking at the folder my wife kept with all the service records and literature. It was car of the year I guess, haven't seen that stuff in awhile. Anyways, looks like I will be hanging out here for sure I plan on taking care of this little beauty for some time. It's only got 60K miles on it after what, ten years?

Thanks Candyman and Crewzin too. See you soon.
Ron

Edit: I will fill in the profile info soon, out of time here.

Last edited by RonsCruiser; 25 Mar 2010 at 07:43 pm.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 09:09 am
Cool Cruiser

Welcome aboard Ron!

Sounds like you've got a sweet ride. If you really want to learn how to take care of the car, check out Candyman's detailing guides in the Detail Shop. You can learn the ins and outs of really keeping it up.

With that, I will warn you it can become a bit of an addiction. Of course so can owning a PT in the first place