Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
extended warranty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2010, 07:16 am
Young Cruiser

Default extended warranty

Would appreciate any feedback on this matter. I first checked the "search" for extended warranties...the feedback was pretty old.
So, here's my question...the '06 I bought has a little over 13,000 miles and is out of factory warranty.
The Dealer told me that the only time I would be able to buy an extended warranty would be that day (the day I bought it from him)
Is that true??? I know with my '05 Chev. SSr...the GM Major Guard Extended Warranty can be bought from any dealer.
Bottom line is...the dealer wanted $2,400 extra for the warranty...is it worth it?
Other suggestions???
Old 26 Mar 2010, 07:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneman View Post
Would appreciate any feedback on this matter. I first checked the "search" for extended warranties...the feedback was pretty old.
So, here's my question...the '06 I bought has a little over 13,000 miles and is out of factory warranty.
The Dealer told me that the only time I would be able to buy an extended warranty would be that day (the day I bought it from him)
Is that true??? I know with my '05 Chev. SSr...the GM Major Guard Extended Warranty can be bought from any dealer.
Bottom line is...the dealer wanted $2,400 extra for the warranty...is it worth it?
Other suggestions???

How long is the warranty? The price sounds steep. Hopefully one of the guys that has one or knows will chime in for you.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 08:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

go here and save yourself headache and money.
Genuine factory backed extended warranty for Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 08:04 am
Cool Cruiser

I NEVER buy extended warranties... As a previous manager of one of the Circuit City stores, we sold them and had to reach a % of budget each month. It's a big profit maker for the seller, and rarely is used. In the time I worked there, I can remember only once that it got used by a customer.

When I bought my PT, the dealer offered a power-train warranty transfer for $150 and a gold or platinum warranty for $1500/$2700. I declined both of course and the 'manager' came in to ask why I declined such a great plan. I said, well if the car is that bad, maybe I shouldn't buy it... He stammered and walked out of the room.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 08:52 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for your advice!
Old 29 Mar 2010, 12:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

When I bought my PT it had over 50k on it so when I was waffling on buying it or not the used car lot pretty much threw in a two year extended warranty. Not totally but I got such a better finance deal from a credit union if I had a extended warranty that it worked out maybe 8 bucks more a month. So being a little scared of buying a Chrysler I thought it was a no brainer. It's from Diamond and while I have heard mixed things about them I do have a friend that needed an engine in his Sebring and they came through. Just like with the dealer you need to keep records for everything.
After having my PT for almost several months I'm convinced she is one of the good ones and I really didn't need the extended warranty but one never knows when buying a used car if your getting a lemon or not.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 12:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wayne,

I was a automotive parts and service manager and unlike garner49, I ALWAYS buy a factory extended warranty. If your car is under 4 years old and 44,000 miles you can buy one from any Chrysler dealer. I took a quote on the Max Care 7/70 warranty from the site mentioned by Taggert_LOA to my local dealer and he matched the price. I saved about $1,000. The Max Care is high but it covers all the electrical stuff and all the top mechanism. With all the sensors and computers on cars, I can't see not having a warranty IF you plan to keep the car for a while.

I had a 5 yr 100,000 warranty on my '96 Tang and it ended up needing a torque converter and a radiator.

My $0.02

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 29 Mar 2010, 01:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaGuy View Post
Wayne,

I was a automotive parts and service manager and unlike garner49, I ALWAYS buy a factory extended warranty. If your car is under 4 years old and 44,000 miles you can buy one from any Chrysler dealer. I took a quote on the Max Care 7/70 warranty from the site mentioned by Taggert_LOA to my local dealer and he matched the price. I saved about $1,000. The Max Care is high but it covers all the electrical stuff and all the top mechanism. With all the sensors and computers on cars, I can't see not having a warranty IF you plan to keep the car for a while.

I had a 5 yr 100,000 warranty on my '96 Tang and it ended up needing a torque converter and a radiator.

My $0.02
How'd you get a 5yr 100k warranty on a car thats a '96? They usually don't warranty cars older than like 10 years. I personally would've went with chryslers warranty but i'm SOL due to car having 58K miles when 48K is the limit
Old 29 Mar 2010, 02:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccrstar View Post
How'd you get a 5yr 100k warranty on a car thats a '96? They usually don't warranty cars older than like 10 years. I personally would've went with chryslers warranty but i'm SOL due to car having 58K miles when 48K is the limit
I HAD a 5/100 on a '96 that I bought in '98. I HAVE a 7/70 on my PT from Chrysler. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Wayne should be within the 4/44 Chrysler requires.

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 29 Mar 2010, 08:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaGuy View Post
I HAD a 5/100 on a '96 that I bought in '98. I HAVE a 7/70 on my PT from Chrysler. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Wayne should be within the 4/44 Chrysler requires.
I'm sorry overlooked that "Had"

I got a quote from Warranty 4 wheels for a warranty from "Alpha Warranty" for 2425 for 7yr 125k Max miles warranty 243 down and 91 a month for 24 months.