Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 Pt falling apart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2010, 02:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 Pt falling apart

used some dye and found that was the only leak behind the rectangle box. Gonna work on that.

I got around to changing the plugs and wires. When i pulled out the plugs they all looked pretty bad even though they are only 4 months old. The new ones in and after starting the car it idles at around 4000 rpm. Not good... So a guy in front of Advance told me it was my gaskets on the intake manifold letting air out. I reseated this and sure enough the engine idled lower almost all the way home. (about 15 minutes)

On the way home my girlfriend used the cruise control on a long stretch and after disengaging it, the light went off, but the cruise control was still going. It would speed the car up to what it was set at. We messed with the switch to make sure it wasnt stuck. ( could be bad i guess) butsitting at a RR crossing about to turn into traffic it actually pulled us towards traffic. Bad@!

Parked in the driveway it started idling high again. I am going to pull the Cruise control fuse to see if that will correct it. But any other suggestions?
Old 13 Apr 2010, 08:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmeach7 View Post
used some dye and found that was the only leak behind the rectangle box. Gonna work on that.

I got around to changing the plugs and wires. When i pulled out the plugs they all looked pretty bad even though they are only 4 months old. The new ones in and after starting the car it idles at around 4000 rpm. Not good... So a guy in front of Advance told me it was my gaskets on the intake manifold letting air out. I reseated this and sure enough the engine idled lower almost all the way home. (about 15 minutes)

On the way home my girlfriend used the cruise control on a long stretch and after disengaging it, the light went off, but the cruise control was still going. It would speed the car up to what it was set at. We messed with the switch to make sure it wasnt stuck. ( could be bad i guess) butsitting at a RR crossing about to turn into traffic it actually pulled us towards traffic. Bad@!

Parked in the driveway it started idling high again. I am going to pull the Cruise control fuse to see if that will correct it. But any other suggestions?
Other people have reported issues with the cruise control, I just don't use mine, never liked cruise control anyway.

Also it sounds like you need a new gasket on your intake.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 13 Apr 2010, 09:06 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Check to make sure all your vacuum hoses on the manifold are connected tightly. Last time I did my plugs it was getting dark as I was finishing up and I accidently left one hose off. Caused the engine to idle high, misfire and try to go forward when I was braking. Once I got that hose reconnected and reset the computer everything was fine.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All the hoses are connected and i thought about replacing the gasket set for the manifold because after reseating it the car did idle lower, but the speeding up on it's own thing is bad.

I have read a lot of complaints about the cruise control doing this, but mine doesnt reset itself after cutting the car off or disconnecting the battery. I also read that someone had to unjam their throttle body linkage or something to that effect because it was speeding them up...?

Is Fuse #10 the cruise control on the 03? Cant seem to find references to it. Does that same fuse control anything i may need?

The repair shop i complained about some time ago on here did fudge up the pcv valve so i havent ruled that out. Apparently they broke it and used JB weld (what it looks like) to mold it back into the engine.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Is Fuse #10 the cruise control on the 03? Cant seem to find references to it. Does that same fuse control anything i may need?

Fuse #10 in the interior fuse box does control the Cruise Control but also goes directly to the Instrument Cluster.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 03:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Found my problem. The throttle cable is getting stuck. Someone broke where the cable leads out here:

Can i just buy that plastic cone piece by itself? What is it called I havent found it in the manual i have.

Oh and this is where those guys "repaired" the valve.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's the Cruise/Speed Control Servo Assembly and on the search that I saw it's all one package including the wire. You might try a parts/salvage yard.

The part they broke looks bad but as long as it doesn't allow any leakage of vacuum you should be OK.
Old 13 Apr 2010, 03:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The repair shop i complained about some time ago on here did fudge up the pcv valve so i havent ruled that out. Apparently they broke it and used JB weld (what it looks like) to mold it back into the engine.

Stay away from that REPAIR (?) shop or go back & demand they repair all they screwed up. You always could involve TV etc.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 13 Apr 2010, 09:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We took them to small claims court but the judge threw it out and said that the chrysler mechanics had to actually go and that a signed affadavit from them didnt mean anything.

Also i cant find that part anywhere. Advance, Autozone, and O' Reilly say they dont have it and that it's a dealer only part they think.
Old 16 Apr 2010, 09:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_F View Post
I once used Just Ask when I had my first cruiser and had chrysler mechanic tell me platinum plugs and napa premium wires every 30K was the way to go if I was doing the work myself.

Both of my PTs ran better as soon as I changed the plugs and wires. The first PT had about 55K when I got it and the one I'm driving now had 43. The changes made a noticeable difference.
I thought I had a transmission slip until I changed my wires and plugs with Napa premium. HUGE difference! Huge!

2008 Turbo Vert

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." -- Ben Franklin, 1706-1790

Tags
2003, air conditioning, bearing, brakes, cruiser