PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
So...I had my PT checked out today and...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2010, 09:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Default So...I had my PT checked out today and...

The result was exactly was I figured and doing research on these cars. Control arm bushings, sway bar endlinks, ball joints and watts link. This shop I went to gave me a quote of $993 I called another shop and they quoted me $615 without the watts link. I called another guy that does work based on what it is and not based by the book. He told me $80 in labor. I guess I'll have him do it. I get to choose my own parts too. I ordered the Moog control arms from rockauto.com for $207 shipped.

I can't wait to get this thing fixed and be able to drive it. Its scares me when the control arm shifts a bit between gears and feels like it floating a little bit. I just wanted to let everyone know that it definately pays to call around!
Old 31 Mar 2010, 05:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: So...I had my PT checked out today and...

Get polyureathane bushings - from what I've read, they last forever...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 31 Mar 2010, 08:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just replaced my control arm bushings with polyureathane bushings. First I was told by not two, but three different mechanics that the bushing i needed was not available and must order the whole control arm. I guess they have never heard, or conveniently forgot to mention, that Energy suspension sells them as a control arm kit or a whole car bushing kt. I got the complete Energy kit (about the same cost as new control arms but you get all the bushings on the car...sway bars,etc). I was quoted $750 for arms and labor before i decided to do myself. It really wasnt that hard at all if you know which end of a wrench to use. Does take some time...I could probably complete in half the time now with the esperience gained. I am very pleased with the new bushings, although they were a PITA to get the old ones out. I would suggest having a shop press them out for you. You may consider replacing other parts while you are in there (depending on mileage). How old are your brakes, struts, bearings, etc. Just makes sense to me to be proactive once you already have it torn apart.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 08:27 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the insight! The only thing I'm worried about do it myself is that oval nut that isn't supposed to move and sometimes does. From what I've read if that nut moves you're screwed and have to cut a hole in the floor to get to it. Did you have any problem with that nut? Also, how many miles do you have on it?
Old 31 Mar 2010, 08:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I didn' have any issues at all. The rear inner bolt does go up into the frame...I'm not really sure how it could get out of position. Car should be stable on jacks and have no way to move unless you screw with it. I'm just a shadetree mechanic though. This was really the first time i've personally ever put a wrench to my PT. In all I replaced rear shocks, front struts (added lowering springs), all bushings, and added strut tower bar. That was just the suspension...I hadn't done a single mod in the 6+ years I've owned it and then caught the bug when I researching the strut replacement about a month ago. I just have experience with working on my atv's over the years. A manual, and knowing your limits are the best tools you can have. I would definitley recommend giving all bolts a squirt with wd40 or similar a day before and get yourself a breaker bar just in case of any stubborn bolts. My PT is an 02 with 145,000 miles.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 09:13 pm
Young Cruiser

That's really great to hear that you had no problems with that kind of mileage on there. How bad was your alignment afterwards? Maybe I'll take a stab at it this weekend. Do a job yourself is always so much more rewarding than paying someone to do it. When I changed the clutch on my old Eclipse myself it felt really good, even though it took me 2 days
Old 31 Mar 2010, 09:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Way rewarding...especially when you're proving someone wrong. My father kept arguing I needed special tools and would be too hard. I sent him a text with a pic of the removed arms...mmmm satisfaction! I installed the alignment kit bolts since i lowered it. I did all work at the same time and it came out pretty close to perfect alignment at least visually. I do get a slight vibration at 70+mph but plan to get it aligned tomorrow. Get some beer, invite some friends to throw ya a tool if needed while under, and get greasy! Shoot me a PM if you have any questions, or there are a lot of experienced folks on this forum. Plan for extra time to get the bushings pressed out...may add a day or so if doing on the weekend. I had to wait for the shop to open since it was a Sunday.

I just posted my finished product with pics...check it out. I love suggestions and constructive critisism.
Budget Build Addict
Old 31 Mar 2010, 10:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta02awp View Post
When I changed the clutch on my old Eclipse myself it felt really good, even though it took me 2 days
Probably would have taken me 2 weeks then with the way I misplace tools while working. I always unsurface 'hidden' headaches usaually too. I WILL finish what I started, just a week behind my estimated timeline. If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. I was estatic, slightly confused, I was able to totally teardown on the PT in an afternoon.