Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Budget Build Addict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2010, 09:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Budget Build Addict

So it all started when i came to a fork in the road with the PT. My '02 has 145,000 and just had replaced radiator, water pump, and thermostat. A week later I go to get my inspection and it failed because of a bad control arm bushing. They also recommended new shocks and struts. Should I sell and have a new car payment, or do I keep and do my own repairs? With my unstable financial situation I decided to keep. I started researching my options (thanks to this forum...you folks are great!) and I caught the mod bug. Before this I haven't done a single thing to the PT in over 6+ years of ownership. I use to have a 4Runner that I modded way out with lift and 35" tires among a lot of other stuff and had to sell cause I had to stop at the gas station every other day. I found the PT to be the perfect replacement...just as much storage space and better gas mileage. But after a severe loss on the runner's sale i vowed to never sink that much $ into a vehicle. I have held out for a long time, but y'alls awesome rides inspired me once again. I ordered the Energy suspension kit and figured it would be a good time to replace the suspension as well. So I ordered KYB shocks and struts. Then I figured it would be as good a time as any to lower it. I found some new Eibach springs on craigslist a state away and took to the road. What was supposed to be a weekend project turned into a endless one...i'm still looking forward to more mods I purchased a set of used rims from my sister that conviently fit the PT. A couple cans of rim paint later they are now black. After painting the rims, everything started to stick out to me...wouldn't the faded grey bumpers look good black? How about the door spears? Maybe some light covers? Well if I do that I got to paint the fuel door too. Thus the addiction began. It's amazing what a lot of prep and a couple cans of spray paint can do.

Mods completed within the last month...
Energy Bushings all around
KYB shocks and struts
Eibach lowering springs
Strut tower bar
New 17" black painted rims
Painted Calipers
Painted grill black
Painted door spears black
Painted bumbers back
Smoked chrome grill accents, door handles, locks, front and rear emblems, lug nuts and center caps
M3 mirrors
MX-5 burp free mod
'05 taillights with chrome bulbs all around
Painted light covers
Flamed back-up lights
Kenwood receiver
New intake
blue gauge lights
black painted radio surround
others i can't remember at this time, oh and i washed it for the first time in like 2+ years (so ashamed), and did a compete detail per Candyman's awesome instructions (wash, clay, swirl remover, glaze, wax) and it looks like a new car!

Check out my pics and let me know what you think. Sorry, no before pic. Just a bone stock NA before though...sweet hubcaps and all. I'm always open for suggestions/critiques.Do i have OCD? Addicted? Is there counseling services available for PT junkies?

Old 01 Apr 2010, 02:51 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: Budget Build Addict

Hey their bds02pt,

Hey, now I remember you. Great to see you back again!

You did a great job on her! Mad props man! I know how hard it can be on a tight budget, but still wanting something cool, especially in this Economy! SO you made it your own, did it nice and simple yet cool, and got the most bang for your buck! And great job on the Detail as well! I know just how long of a process it can be, and its looking good. The only thing I might add would be, and I am always picky about this too for some odd reason, but I really have this thing for dressing the tires so they got that black shiny look to them. Other than that, job well done!

Go easy, and I hope to see you around the Forums.

Catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 01 Apr 2010, 05:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Budget Build Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds02pt View Post
I'm always open for suggestions/critiques.Do i have OCD? Addicted? Is there counseling services available for PT junkies?
As far as I know the are no known counselling service that work. So sit back and enjoy!!! The car looks fantastic for an '02, it's amazing what a bit of paint can do. It looks almost brand new
Old 01 Apr 2010, 09:35 am
Senior Cruiser

Wow she looks sharp! you did an awesome job. You can come over my house with some spray paint anytime.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 01 Apr 2010, 09:35 am
Cool Cruiser

Pretty sweet job!

I dig the black on the grill! I had always heard painting the grill black on the inside parts would make it stand it out more. It made sense in theory, but I had never seen it actually done. Good work!

If you haven't already coated the rims, I might suggest picking up a can of clear coat to seal them. Since they're painted now, don't forget to wax them to help keep them protected.
Old 01 Apr 2010, 09:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Nice work. Did you notice a big difference with when you added the strut tower brace? I love the look of the wheels and the door handles. The matte black looks awesome.
Old 02 Apr 2010, 04:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Nice!
Old 04 Apr 2010, 09:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone I appreciate the kind words, especially knowing your rides are so awesome. It's no show car, but it's nice to have daily driver I'm proud of. What kind of tire dressing do you use Candyman? I have tried Maguirs, but i really wasn't impressed with the results. Your expertise is always much appreciated. After completing the detailing as your guide describes, folks were asking if I got it painted. Way awesome results.
I am not sure if I am going to clear the wheels or not William_F. I initially bought some clear and was going to use it for added protection and gloss. But once I painted the rims with the flat black, which the finished product looks more like a satin, it matched the other painted items well. Just hoping the finish will not wear too quick. Is there a way to clear coat, but still achieve an even, reduced gloss finish? muzzle17, it does prevent some body roll. With all the new suspension components it drives better than ever. It's way more responsive and i love on/off ramps now!
Just finished my best mod to date...a fishing rod holder that i mounted to the factory front license plate holder. now i can carry my rods outside (where i can't roll up in a window...embarrassed to say how many times this has happened) while going kayak fishing. I'll post some pics when i get a chance.

Last edited by bds02pt; 04 Apr 2010 at 09:52 pm.
Old 05 Apr 2010, 03:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
What kind of tire dressing do you use Candyman? I have tried Maguirs, but i really wasn't impressed with the results.
Which one did you try? They make several. I have been using the Hot Shine Tire foam. It cleans the tires with no scrubbing and leaves a nice high gloss. If you use this one, just use it before you clean your rims as it will run down and get them dirty as it evaporates.

Quote:
I am not sure if I am going to clear the wheels or not William_F. I initially bought some clear and was going to use it for added protection and gloss. But once I painted the rims with the flat black, which the finished product looks more like a satin, it matched the other painted items well. Just hoping the finish will not wear too quick. Is there a way to clear coat, but still achieve an even, reduced gloss finish?
Clear coat shouldn't effect the level of gloss unless you polish it, in which case the paint it is over will largely determine what level of gloss you'll end up with.