PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT Chrome (Junk) wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2010, 06:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT Chrome (Junk) wheels

Hi Guys,

Well as we all know the "chrome" on the Limited Edition wheels was a joke. I managed to get two replacements from Chrysler back in 2003 (oh they so tried to convince me it was normal). anyways, in the past week I have noticed a sound coming from the right front wheel "sip sip sip" then it disappears above 35 mph.

It was worse this morning so when I got to work I had a look. There was a piece of chrome the size of a postcard curled up and dragging on the brake rotor. I peeled it off and I am sure it was the problem.

Fellas, give me a hand please. I want this junk off the car. What are you buying as replacements? I have the original size tires only they are Goodyear Assurance - really nice. I have even thought of steel rims with baby moons. Anyways thought I would see what you guys have done with this wretched problem. Correction, Wretched problem from day one of ownership...

I know there are probably posts on this I can search on but would like to be current and in todays economy.

Thanks
Ron

Last edited by RonsCruiser; 01 Apr 2010 at 06:51 am.
Old 01 Apr 2010, 09:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Chrome (Junk) wheels

I haven't done this my self but a couple of options come to mind. The first step to both would be to strip off the existing chrome. Option one would be to then take them to a body shop and have them sprayed in what ever color you like and then shot with a clear coat. The other thing you could do is find a plating shop in town and see what they would charge to replate the wheels for you.

I suspect that replating might be a bit costly, but may still be well under the cost of new wheels.
Old 01 Apr 2010, 09:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

I would think the price of stripping the chrome alone would'nt be worth it. I'd say your better off just finding some new wheels.

-------------------2003 Pt Cruiser Turbo 57k miles-------------------
Old 01 Apr 2010, 09:30 am
Senior Cruiser

Get some new rims, something old school like Cragars or something.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 01 Apr 2010, 11:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Get some new rims, something old school like Cragars or something.
I do so love the Cragar Mags from the olden days. I do drive this car in the wintertime though so that is another consideration when choosing a wheelset.
Old 01 Apr 2010, 11:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_F View Post
I haven't done this my self but a couple of options come to mind. The first step to both would be to strip off the existing chrome. Option one would be to then take them to a body shop and have them sprayed in what ever color you like and then shot with a clear coat. The other thing you could do is find a plating shop in town and see what they would charge to replate the wheels for you.

I suspect that replating might be a bit costly, but may still be well under the cost of new wheels.
I have thought of this but the expense - not sure although a very faithful idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezingbelow View Post
I would think the price of stripping the chrome alone would'nt be worth it. I'd say your better off just finding some new wheels.
What are people buying these days for the PT? Mild custom would be my choice. What about the idea on stock black wheels with baby moons?
Old 01 Apr 2010, 11:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Just had another thought- keep the crappy wheels for winter use. If the get a little screwed up it's not a big deal. When the weather is nice, put on your good ones.

Quote:
What about the idea on stock black wheels with baby moons?
It's all up to you. I like the wheels on my '06 LE (stock metallic flake spokes) but when I finish getting all the mods done I want, the wheels will have to go because they don't fit the look I'm going for. I too favor the baby moons.

Another idea might be to buy a set of baby moon hubcaps and cover the crappy wheels when the weather is good and pull them off in the winter.
Old 01 Apr 2010, 11:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Keeping them for winter wheels is your best bet. As for new wheels, its all personal preference. if you want check out craigslist, Might be able to score a set for a decent price.

-------------------2003 Pt Cruiser Turbo 57k miles-------------------
Old 01 Apr 2010, 02:01 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to Candyman
Smile Re: 2001 PT Chrome (Junk) wheels

Hey their RonsCruiser,

First off welcome to the Forum!

Really what I would do would be to dismount the tires and have your current rims media blasted and powder coated, remount and use them either full time, or as winter wheels. You can get a whole range of colors, or even machined, or black chrome finishes which look great, and are very resilient, and best of all, the going rate is around $60 - $70 a wheel which is fairly low cost for a decent result overall. Or I am still thinking about either powder coating mine, or possibly looking into having the wheel faces commercially wrapped with something like a carbon fiber effect allong the outer edge of the wheel, and a flat black look on the face. Its basically a big sticker that would cover the entire face o the wheel which could be done in any color, any pattern you can think up and would hide any underlying damage on your wheels. The Vinyl is also fairly resilient and would also keep down on corrosion problems as well, and should also be fairly cost effective as well.

If you would rather go the more expensive route which would be totally understandable, I know a lot of people running Konig Wheels on their PT's.

WHat you need would be a wheel that is 7.5 - 8.0 wide preferably size 15" - 19" with a bolt pattern of 5-100 and a 35 offset if possible. You can go up to 19" and still retain stock dimensions which though you will have really skinny tires, will not have any effect on your speedometer and not require any recalibration, where as 20"s will fit, but will throw things off a bit. Best fit if you wanted bigger wheels would be no more than 18"s of which their are several designs available for the PT.

Some wheels with a width of 8.5 will fit but others will rub depending on the offset, and if you ever wanted to lower your PT could cause issues in the front with clearance so I would try to avoid that if possible.

And last but not least, If you find a wheel design you like, but they don't have your bolt pattern, you may be able to get it shipped un-drilled or blank and have your wheel shop drill them for you to fit your PT.

Maybe try this place as they have a pretty good reputation and many Members have had good luck with them.

Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

That's my 2 cents anyway. You go easy, and I will catch ya later.

Candyman

Check out my Custom PT Club Website: http://westvalleyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi
And my ever growing PT Photo Archives: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/q...uiserArchives/

Please Like my Hot Rod Restoration and Detail Shop on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueDiamondDetailing
Old 01 Apr 2010, 06:05 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would just buy a set of aftermarket rims.

Home - Discount Tire Direct

I got a set with some winter tires.

Per the chrome, I have the 19" GT Chrome wheels, came with the car 03 GT. I bought it used in 2004. I noticed the chrome delaminating from the inside, so I used some Eastwoods clear and painted the inside, this sealed them up. I also had the weights moved to the inside. The wheels still look good. no more delaminating.

Eastwood Diamond Clear Gloss for Bare Metal Quart