Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rear Running Lights out.....need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2010, 09:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Rear Running Lights out.....need help

I got headlights,rear turn single,rear brake lights,and flashers. But the rear running lights do not work. I have checked all the fuses both under dash and the engine box..and dont see anything out there..any help please
Old 02 Apr 2010, 01:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Rear Running Lights out.....need help

By rear running lights, do yo mean taillights? Check the bulbs first. They're dual filament bulbs, so just because the brake lights work doesn't mean the taillight filament isn't burned out.
Old 02 Apr 2010, 09:29 am
Cool Cruiser

He may be in the UK, or some other place overseas. I seem to remember reading on here, or maybe another forum that the back up light housing there is used as rear running lights with bright bulbs in them. Maybe for when fog is thick.

Someone correct me if I'm in error.
2001 LE, Shale Green, Aftermarket Wheels, Shorty Antenna, AirRaid Cold Air Intake, Whelen Talons (amber/white) in front windshield, Whelen Talons (amber) in rear side windows, Tomar RECT25's (amber) and Whelen Slimlighter(amber) in back window. Kenwood TK-880H 45 Watt Mobile Radio, Antenex 3db antenna w/ NMO mount.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0PT%20Cruiser/

Ham: N9PTC
GMRS: WPQS324
Old 02 Apr 2010, 11:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

I have had past problems with moisture getting in the read light housing and blowing the bulbs,however their is still brake lights and turn signal and flashers. I can check the bulbs but what are the chances that the filiments in both bulbs blew at the same time? Again I am speaking of no lights as in parking lights...I do have brake lights and turn signal
Old 02 Apr 2010, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, more questions: What year is your car? Are you in the UK? Does the bulb over the rear license plate light up? Does the front parking lights light up?

garyerrol,

I was in the UK for 12 years. Yes, all European models have an extra fog light in the rear (some have two) that carries a 21watt bulb for extra brightness and it's only to be used during fog. It's on a separate circuit and separate switch all by itself. You can see it here and overseas when the driver accidentally leaves that switch on and they drive around with that extra bright red light glowing.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Apr 2010, 04:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Im in Texas,the Pt is a 2003.I just checked the parking lights and noticed the front parking light are NOT working as well,however the white light over the lincense plates are comming on...now Im really confused!!!
Old 02 Apr 2010, 05:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, there's 11 pages of wiring diagrams for all the exterior lights. You need to check again all the fuses directly or indirectly related to them. Under the hood , fuse #12. In the interior fuse box check: #2, #6, #18, #19 and #20.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Apr 2010, 06:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I checked all the fuses you listed and they were all in working ored. I rechecked the front parking lights and noticed that they DO work(sun was shineing on them earlier),I broke down and removed the rear light lense and noticed BOTH...yes BOTH read bulbs were blown out!!! What are the chances of both blowning out at same time..lmao!!!! Something so simple im kicking myself in the ass for not checking first...I have had on ongoing problem with moisture entering and blowing the bulbs..so now what are the suggestions to keep moisture out of light houseing!!! Oh by the way I just love this site....You guys are awsome!!!
Old 02 Apr 2010, 06:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Take the lights out (as you did) and make sure the little felt/rubber gasket around the bulb holder is all in one piece and making a good seal when you twist everything back together. Then look all around the edge and make sure there's no broken seam that would let air/water in.

Old 02 Apr 2010, 07:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A little dielectric grease around the bulb MAY help as well.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar