PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PT frustation!! Why do you love your PT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2010, 05:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy PT frustation!! Why do you love your PT?

I am in desperate need of some positive stories about your PTs. I have a 2006 PT Cruiser and it has been one problem after the next. I am very frustrated. It only has 38,000 miles on it. How can a car with that low mileage have problems. It was the a/c and now the clutch!!

Please, I need some wonderful stories, why do you love your PT?
Old 02 Apr 2010, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PT frustation!! Why do you love your PT?

The styling, comfort to drive, can be used to haul loads to start with. We are on our 3rd one and hope to drive it for a number more years.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 02 Apr 2010, 05:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Chastity, sorry your having the problems that you do. I don't mean to blame you, and I haven't read your previous posts as to exactly what the problems consisted of, but sometimes driving habits can cause problems that people blame on the car. For instance, the air-conditioner should be run at least a couple times a month all through the winter. This keeps all the seals lubricated and keeps parts working. Some owners never touch the air once winter sets in and they wonder why it isn't working when summer comes around. As far as the clutch. It's a wearable part and that's why it isn't covered by most if any warranties, just like brake pads. People drive differently with a sometimes heavy or dragging foot on the clutch and brakes. Sometimes not even knowing they are doing it.

Now to your positive stories. It's really a great little car. Parts sometimes go bad and it's no body's fault except the parts manufacturer. I've replaced a heck of a lot more parts on my Corvette than my PT. The Vette has 154,000 miles but it cost twice the price of the PT if you take into consideration the age difference.

Mine still draws attention at car shows but probably because of the mods. I used to drive 800 miles at a time to see the grandkids and only let me down once because some wires rubbed a moving part and wore out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Apr 2010, 06:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys!! I bought the car used about six months ago for a local dealer in Sanford, FL. I know that is was a fleet car before I bought it, so I am not sure how is was driven then. I think I am pretty easy on it.

The problems: The a/c just stopped working one day. I am actually very hot natured, so even in Florida I generally run the a/c. I do understand what you are saying about the a/c. We have a Cadillac that we "inherited" that has had those issues, because it sat for over a year. My husband and another mechanic, that I trust, did numerous tests on the system and everything checked out except the compressor. I mean there were no leaks, and it was full of freon. I replaced the low pressure relay thinking that would help, but it didn't. So, I have ordered all the parts to change out the compressor. I hope to get it fixed next weekend.

The other problem is that the shifting has become very stiff or hard. It is like I have to force it into gear. I am scared to hurt the transmission doing that. My husband is working on it tonight. He thinks the cable just needs adjusting. We will see! I haven't changed the fluid yet, but I plan on it very soon. I think my manual says to change it at 42,000 miles or so. I don't remember.

I know some of you out there live in Central Florida. Any suggestions on a good Chrysler dealer???? This is my first Chrysler, so I am not familiar with the dealerships around here.

Thanks everyone!! I will let you know about the clutch!
Old 02 Apr 2010, 06:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Florida's a big state Chastitiy. I'm in West Central Florida and found a great mechanic at my local dealer. You might balk at dealer prices but since the owner of the Chrysler dealer (and the Chevy and Nissan places) is the sponsor of 2 of my car clubs, we get parts at dealer cost plus 10% and a rate of $45 an hour for labor.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Apr 2010, 07:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastitythomas View Post
Thanks guys!! I bought the car used about six months ago for a local dealer in Sanford, FL. I know that is was a fleet car before I bought it, so I am not sure how is was driven then. I think I am pretty easy on it.

The problems: The a/c just stopped working one day. I am actually very hot natured, so even in Florida I generally run the a/c. I do understand what you are saying about the a/c. We have a Cadillac that we "inherited" that has had those issues, because it sat for over a year. My husband and another mechanic, that I trust, did numerous tests on the system and everything checked out except the compressor. I mean there were no leaks, and it was full of freon. I replaced the low pressure relay thinking that would help, but it didn't. So, I have ordered all the parts to change out the compressor. I hope to get it fixed next weekend.

The other problem is that the shifting has become very stiff or hard. It is like I have to force it into gear. I am scared to hurt the transmission doing that. My husband is working on it tonight. He thinks the cable just needs adjusting. We will see! I haven't changed the fluid yet, but I plan on it very soon. I think my manual says to change it at 42,000 miles or so. I don't remember.

I know some of you out there live in Central Florida. Any suggestions on a good Chrysler dealer???? This is my first Chrysler, so I am not familiar with the dealerships around here.

Thanks everyone!! I will let you know about the clutch!
Chastity, I live on Merritt Island and I believe my dealer is fair and a square shooter. It is Boniface-Hiers, 1775 E Merritt Island Cswy (520) (out towards Cocoa Beach) 321 452 8181. Craig Hiers is the Service Mgr. A good guy to work with.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 02 Apr 2010, 08:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chastitythomas View Post
I am in desperate need of some positive stories about your PTs. I have a 2006 PT Cruiser and it has been one problem after the next. I am very frustrated. It only has 38,000 miles on it. How can a car with that low mileage have problems. It was the a/c and now the clutch!!

Please, I need some wonderful stories, why do you love your PT?
I only had my 01 LE since last July but I have never had a problem with it and it has 102000 miles on it. Last week I got rear ended while I was stopped behind a smaller transit bus and then got slammed into the back of the bus, crunched on both ends. The car took a real hard shot and I wasn't hurt at all, but she's totaled. So there is another thing it's crash worthy too. I'm in the process of finding another PT now.
Old 02 Apr 2010, 09:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Th PT cruiser has several mostly minor issues like radiator fans but all in all compared to most cars foreign or domestic it's reliable. It most likely was driven hard as a fleet car and not very well maintained. It's needs some TLC and once you catch up with maintenance you should have some good reliable transportation. And what other car could you have a forum like this for?

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03 Apr 2010, 02:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well, maybe a lot of people here works in the automotive industry and they should know that there is nothing guarranted, what I meant is that sometimes is "lucky". I worked for several years in the automotive and I can tell you that there are somethings without the correct quality assurance they must have. Now I am in the aerospace industry and believe me it is full of "holes" and in the air there is no place where to parcking and give a quick view. PT is a good car just, sometimes just happens!!!

Last edited by luisen; 03 Apr 2010 at 02:22 am. Reason: It is late, I am sleeping
Old 03 Apr 2010, 08:48 am
Young Cruiser

I liked the styling of the PT since its inception and was impressed with the roomy interior after riding in one owned by a friend. I purchased my PT new in 11/2003 and it's given me ~ 93k trouble free miles as a daily commuter car. My PT recently started throwing intermittant "camshaft position sensor" codes so I'll likely replace the sensor along with the timing belt (it's due). On the down side, I was disappointed with the fuel mileage although I think I get better fuel mileage than some I've read (I get ~ 27 average mixed city / highway). I tend to baby it though.

So why do I love it? It runs well, it's dependable, it's roomy, and I like the style. So far so good!

Good luck with your PT. I think once you get your little headaches solved, you'll enjoy your PT.