Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I need a lid -- I think

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2010, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question I just need something to cover my coolant bottle -- I think

Hello, I have a 2002 PT Cruiser LE. Yesterday I noticed my engine coolant temperature gauge rising several times. Each time I turned off the A/C it went down, but still rose when I had to idle for more than a few seconds. When I got home I looked under the hood and the cap to the coolant bottle was missing and the coolant level was below the ADD mark.

1) Must I get a new bottle or can I just get a new cap (the bottle looks just fine)?

2) Until I can get the bottle/cap fixed or replaced should I add coolant or water or will this just splash out and damage the engine?

3) If it is essential to cover the opening of the bottle to prevent spillage, is there a temporary jerry-rig or makeshift replacement for the cap that I can use until I can get a proper new one?

If anyone could help me with this I would be profoundly grateful. This site is awesome. I've had the apparently all-too-common problem with the fog lights not going off. Had I not read some of the posts here I would have undoubtedly ended up paying for a new control lever.

Last edited by BJHammond; 07 Apr 2010 at 12:20 pm.
Old 05 Apr 2010, 01:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I need a lid -- I think

BJ, Welcome to the Forum. You didn't fill out your profile, but first thing I'd try would be a salvage yard or go to one of our advertising friends and see if they have a cap.

Was the bottle 1/2 way between full & add before you saw it was low?

The next thing I would check is the radiator fan and make sure that is working correctly.

If you bought it at a dealer, take it back, there must be a least a 30 day warranty even IF you bought it at a used lot.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Apr 2010, 02:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Follow Hooligans advise. Short answer to your original question. Yes, you need the cap. The coolant system is supposed to be a closed loop and without the overflow cap, it's not.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Apr 2010, 09:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: I just need a lid -- I think

1) just cap
2) if you add water - be sure it's distilled water - you can buy it in suprmarkets for steam irons - and if you use antifreeze, be sure it's HOAT - read user manual - but do add!
3) It isn't a pressure cap - just keeps crud out and antifreeze from splashing out. Quick & dirty - get plastic wrap, cover opening and zip-tie the wrap to the filler neck. when you get new cap, clip the zip-tie.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 06 Apr 2010, 02:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks to everyone who replied . I was able to order a replacement cap and will be picking it up tomorrow. The "quick and dirty" should get me there and back. After that I'll see if there's any other damage to the system.

I bought it new and have had it since 2002 (104,989 miles and counting). My dad was "the dealer," which is why I know so little about cars . My wife and I drove from Knoxville to Nashville last week, running the A/C off and on the whole way, and had no problems whatsoever. I have no clue what happened to the cap and I haven't checked under the hood in nearly a month (it was about 2/3 above ADD when I did), but I can't believe it's been off for more than a few days since I didn't notice any "symptoms" before that. The radiator fan appears to be working fine at the moment.

Anyway, thanks again for the good counsel; I'll probably need some more again very soon.
Old 06 Apr 2010, 03:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

BJ, did your dad replace the timing belt and water pump B 4 the 100,000 mile mark? If not you better do it now as it is recommended to do that around the 100,000 mile mark.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 06 Apr 2010, 06:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Leave it to an old hippie to think that BJ wanted to buy some grass. (Far out dude!)

Santa's Sleigh - 2006 Touring Edition, Chrome Door Spears, Chrome Door Handle and Trunk Cups, 1950's Chrysler Grille Emblem, Engine Modesty Cover, Pin Striped Manifold, Chrome Washer Covers, Chrome Antenna Bezel, Chrome Gas Door, K&N Drop-in Filter, Chrome Exhaust Extention.

Old 06 Apr 2010, 08:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hooligan wrote:
"BJ, did your dad replace the timing belt and water pump B 4 the 100,000 mile mark? If not you better do it now as it is recommended to do that around the 100,000 mile mark."

Yes, I had issues with both before 100,000 miles. Actually, my dad retired a few years ago after more than 40 years as part owner and service manager of a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth dealership in Athens, Tennessee. I try to only bug him now with the really serious stuff -- which hopefully this won't turn out to be! It's true I don't know very much about what he did so well for so many years, but he certainly drilled into me the importance of regular maintenance.
Old 06 Apr 2010, 08:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaGuy View Post

Leave it to an old hippie to think that BJ wanted to buy some grass. (Far out dude!)
I have NO IDEA what you're talking about Please enlighten
Old 07 Apr 2010, 06:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJHammond View Post
I have NO IDEA what you're talking about Please enlighten
A lid used to be a measure of marijuana sales - a pile on a coffee can lid.