PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Horn & cover missing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2010, 10:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Horn & cover missing?

Hi All,

I noticed today that someone must have taken my horn (I'm guessing), or at least I think that's what it is. There was a cover missing and an empty spot on the passenger side of the cruiser (below the bumper) and a wire was left hanging. Any idea as to how much it will cost to replace the horn assembly and the cover?

Thanks!
Old 08 Apr 2010, 05:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Horn & cover missing?

Is this a joke? You can tell if the horn is missing by depressing the center of the steering wheel.

There's two spaces on each side of the cruiser below the bumper. One lets air in to cool off the brakes, the other is for the fog light. It could be the fog light that is missing but you should be able to tell by looking at the other (drivers) side of the car to see what you have there. If it's just a cover that's missing, your PT probably didn't have the optional fog lights and someone just needed the cover that Chrysler puts over the hole.

For someone to steal the horn the whole inner fender of the passenger side has to come off to get access to the horn.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 08 Apr 2010 at 05:38 am.
Old 08 Apr 2010, 07:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Funny guy! Yes, the horn was tested and it does work, although it sounds different to me. I was asking because I wasn't sure what was there to begin with. On the other side I only see a cover. I had read elsewhere that PT Cruisers at one point had two horns, which is why I asked about the possibility of one being taken. Geez....
Old 08 Apr 2010, 07:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

NO, somebody would have to be really dumb to only steal one horn when they are both together. As I said, you have to get into the inner fender on the passenger side, a lot easier with the wheel off.

Chrysler had two horns (high note and low) for a first couple of years and then in a cost saving measure, each year they deleted things from all over the car. One horn, no cargo net, no rear shelf, outside passenger door lock, vanity cover on engine, alarm sensor under the hood and some lights on some of the controls inside the cabin. There's probably more but can't think of them right now.

So, what your missing is the cover that went over the hole where the fog light would be. It could have come off while driving , but probably taken by another PT driver who lost theirs in an accident. The wire is there because Chrysler wired up cars at the factory even though some options weren't going to go on the car. It's not a live wire so you can just stick it back in the hole or get underneath the front end and tie it up somewhere.

Don't know how much that little plastic piece is but if I know Chrysler, you might have to buy both left and right pieces instead of just one.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 08 Apr 2010 at 07:58 am.
Old 08 Apr 2010, 07:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks1 I'll have to check into getting a replacement cover.
Old 08 Apr 2010, 08:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No problem. Sorry if the first post sounded rude. We do have people coming on to the forum with unrealistically questions and it was early when I saw your post about someone stealing a horn. That would be a first.

Old 08 Apr 2010, 09:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

No problem at all. Thanks for the information. It sounds as if one of the covers was taken or just fell off on the way to work. Hopefully it just fell off, as I'd hate to think of someone cannibalizing my PT Cruiser. Anyway, I'll call Chrysler and see about getting a replacement.

Thanks again!